User Tag List

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Muscle glycogen and workouts

Let's say I do resistance training Monday (then carb backload), HIIT Tuesday (most/all my glycogen stores will have been used up?) then another resistance training Wednesday. What will be fueling my Wednesday workout since there won't be much glycogen left? Will it make my Wednesday workout suffer? Should I maybe be carb backloading after HIIT also to fix this?

Hope this makes sense, thanks

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 jacknap's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not the expert on this so I'd want CD's opinion this but from my knowledge yes your workouts will suffer but we're not trying to be athletes in this we're trying to recover and being low on carbs has other benefits like starving out bad bacteria and spiking hormones on training days and backloading.

most pro athletes eat a shit ton of carbs for optimal performance but it's not for their long term health and if you see athletes down the line a lot of them like NBA players have back problems etc. because it's about maximizing their prime athletic years.

Now that I consider myself recovered though I backload sometimes even on non training gains to have more strength before gym (but I still generally adhere to the protocol 90% because it just feels better that way) with some drugs combined here and there for work/game and a cheat meal once in a while. Thing is with cheat meals is you can have delicious healthier versions of everything. Gluten free cookies, kettle cooked chips with olive oil etc.
    From rock bottom to rockstar, baby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jacknap View Post
    I'm not the expert on this so I'd want CD's opinion this but from my knowledge yes your workouts will suffer but we're not trying to be athletes in this we're trying to recover and being low on carbs has other benefits like starving out bad bacteria and spiking hormones on training days and backloading.

most pro athletes eat a shit ton of carbs for optimal performance but it's not for their long term health and if you see athletes down the line a lot of them like NBA players have back problems etc. because it's about maximizing their prime athletic years.

Now that I consider myself recovered though I backload sometimes even on non training gains to have more strength before gym (but I still generally adhere to the protocol 90% because it just feels better that way) with some drugs combined here and there for work/game and a cheat meal once in a while. Thing is with cheat meals is you can have delicious healthier versions of everything. Gluten free cookies, kettle cooked chips with olive oil etc.
    Makes sense, thanks for helping clarify. Would like to see more opinions on the topic but it's good to know I'm not doing anything wrong and even though my workouts may suffer slightly I'm getting other benefits.

Moderator Feedback Score 0 Cdsnuts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benq123 View Post
    Let's say I do resistance training Monday (then carb backload), HIIT Tuesday (most/all my glycogen stores will have been used up?) then another resistance training Wednesday. What will be fueling my Wednesday workout since there won't be much glycogen left? Will it make my Wednesday workout suffer? Should I maybe be carb backloading after HIIT also to fix this?

Hope this makes sense, thanks
    It all depends on how you're feeling and looking and how intense your workouts are. If you're feeling a lack of zest on your wed. workouts then you can add in a back load tues. night.
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdsnuts View Post
    It all depends on how you're feeling and looking and how intense your workouts are. If you're feeling a lack of zest on your wed. workouts then you can add in a back load tues. night.
    Ah, that's great I'll carry on for now but consider doing that, no downsides to doing it I assume except maybe if I was trying to lose weight/fat?

Moderator Feedback Score 0 Cdsnuts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Benq123 View Post
    Ah, that's great I'll carry on for now but consider doing that, no downsides to doing it I assume except maybe if I was trying to lose weight/fat?
    Yes, exactly.
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"