Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0 covfefe42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dutasteride Recovery Log

Hey guys,

I'm new here, and wanted to start a log to document my road to recovery from hell!

I was on Finasteride for 2 years with no sides, then switched to Dutasteride for a month, got sides, came off and got PFS (fuck). Symptoms aren't too bad compared to some of the stories I've seen. Mainly just insomnia, low libido, low energy, and digestive issues/constipation. Also occasionally get hit with pretty bad depression/anxiety and have seen some penile changes such as more veiny, etc.

It seems like my symptoms have improved a bit since first crashing in the beginning of August. I started off not able to sleep at all, now able to sleep 6-7 hours a night but wake up several times throughout. I also had cold/lifeless dick, which is now functional occasionally! However, I still have a long road to get back to baseline, and I still crash every 2-4 weeks where my symptoms all simultaneously get much worse for about a week.

So far have been following a Paleo diet (mostly meat, vegetables, and fruit), hitting the gym 3x/week, and preparing to start my first juice cleanse!

My first question is, how strict do we have to be with being low carb? I saw on TMO that we're allowed to eat fruit, but it's also recommended to eat low carb and high protein/fat. What would be the happy medium here? Thanks and I hope to join you all on the other side!!

Established Member Feedback Score 0 RickTheRuler's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dutasteride Recovery Log

Quote Originally Posted by covfefe42 View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm new here, and wanted to start a log to document my road to recovery from hell!

I was on Finasteride for 2 years with no sides, then switched to Dutasteride for a month, got sides, came off and got PFS (fuck). Symptoms aren't too bad compared to some of the stories I've seen. Mainly just insomnia, low libido, low energy, and digestive issues/constipation. Also occasionally get hit with pretty bad depression/anxiety and have seen some penile changes such as more veiny, etc.

It seems like my symptoms have improved a bit since first crashing in the beginning of August. I started off not able to sleep at all, now able to sleep 6-7 hours a night but wake up several times throughout. I also had cold/lifeless dick, which is now functional occasionally! However, I still have a long road to get back to baseline, and I still crash every 2-4 weeks where my symptoms all simultaneously get much worse for about a week.

So far have been following a Paleo diet (mostly meat, vegetables, and fruit), hitting the gym 3x/week, and preparing to start my first juice cleanse!

My first question is, how strict do we have to be with being low carb? I saw on TMO that we're allowed to eat fruit, but it's also recommended to eat low carb and high protein/fat. What would be the happy medium here? Thanks and I hope to join you all on the other side!!
    Sup dude. Don’t include fruits in the whole carb backloading thing, look at it like it’s protein or a veggie. You can eat that through the day. I think the backloading is more for compelx carbs like pasta, rice, bread etc...

When you get far in recovery, to the point where your digestive health is good; & more intense in your training, you could actually throw some cheat meals in your backloading window..

Me personally I follow the diet breakfast and lunch, after I lift I eat a healthy carby meal......but after that through the night...straight whatever the fuck I want, I need all the calories I can get.... but I started this recently, im a year and change into the game & I don’t feel these things change my state like it would in the beginning. Same with alcohol even though I’m not a big drinker.. all the shit that’s bad for you I just put it in the backloading window.. which is pretty easy to follow tbh.

It’s at the end of the day too after I work and lift so mentally I feel like I “earned it” when I pig out at night.

Still, be STRICT in the early stages. At least a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RickTheRuler; 10-15-2019 at 08:22 PM.

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey man. Sounds like my experience almost to a T after quitting Dutasteride. Do you think the digestive issues are linked to PFS? I've had some symptoms that resemble IBS recently and I'm not sure if it points back to PFS. But it's easy to get suspicious...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickTheRuler View Post
    Sup dude. Don’t include fruits in the whole carb backloading thing, look at it like it’s protein or a veggie. You can eat that through the day. I think the backloading is more for compelx carbs like pasta, rice, bread etc...

When you get far in recovery, to the point where your digestive health is good; & more intense in your training, you could actually throw some cheat meals in your backloading window..

Me personally I follow the diet breakfast and lunch, after I lift I eat a healthy carby meal......but after that through the night...straight whatever the fuck I want, I need all the calories I can get.... but I started this recently, im a year and change into the game & I don’t feel these things change my state like it would in the beginning. Same with alcohol even though I’m not a big drinker.. all the shit that’s bad for you I just put it in the backloading window.. which is pretty easy to follow tbh.

It’s at the end of the day too after I work and lift so mentally I feel like I “earned it” when I pig out at night.

Still, be STRICT in the early stages. At least a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome thanks for the encouraging reply Rick!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by petty3112 View Post
    Hey man. Sounds like my experience almost to a T after quitting Dutasteride. Do you think the digestive issues are linked to PFS? I've had some symptoms that resemble IBS recently and I'm not sure if it points back to PFS. But it's easy to get suspicious...
    I'm not 100% sure but I had no problems before quitting Dut. And based on what I've researched about PFS from this forum, it seems like the gut/GI tract has a lot to do with it, so I think it's more likely than not related

Moderator Feedback Score 0 Cdsnuts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by petty3112 View Post
    It is part of the PFS barrage. It will heal along with everything else by following the protocol.
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys quick update. After having a couple weeks of improvement, I got drunk while I was at a girl's house. I figured it couldn't hurt that much considering how clean I've been eating. Huge mistake.

The next day I felt relatively normal, but 2 days after (today) I feel like shit. Mental sides coming back, etc.

I feel dumb posting this but in the interest of 100% integrity and accountability during this journey, I want to update this thread every time I slip up. Going back to following the protocol 100%.

Also wondering if coffee is allowed? I've been relying on it to take shits regularly bc I can't really without it, but I'm not sure if it sets me back or anything. Just hate the feeling of having all this shit backed up in my body after several days.

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0 alphacfi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by covfefe42 View Post
    Hey guys quick update. After having a couple weeks of improvement, I got drunk while I was at a girl's house. I figured it couldn't hurt that much considering how clean I've been eating. Huge mistake.

The next day I felt relatively normal, but 2 days after (today) I feel like shit. Mental sides coming back, etc.

I feel dumb posting this but in the interest of 100% integrity and accountability during this journey, I want to update this thread every time I slip up. Going back to following the protocol 100%.

Also wondering if coffee is allowed? I've been relying on it to take shits regularly bc I can't really without it, but I'm not sure if it sets me back or anything. Just hate the feeling of having all this shit backed up in my body after several days.
    I have tried drinking a 5 or 6 times during the my recovery this year. The first couple times was immediate regret. Like actual panic attacks while being drunk. Bad combination. Then I was able to drink one night and not have any downswings. So I pushed it to a weekend and had terrible downswings. Then felt almost recovered for 3 weeks in a row so naturally I partied hard 3 days in a row and boom, terrible downswing for a week. Moral of the story, drinking is a no go. At least for the first year or whatever. I wonder where I would be right now without all of those "screw ups". Especially the most recent one because I was doing so damn well. I'm kinda getting back to that point again thank God!
    Regarding coffee, TMO recommends it!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alphacfi View Post
    I have tried drinking a 5 or 6 times during the my recovery this year. The first couple times was immediate regret. Like actual panic attacks while being drunk. Bad combination. Then I was able to drink one night and not have any downswings. So I pushed it to a weekend and had terrible downswings. Then felt almost recovered for 3 weeks in a row so naturally I partied hard 3 days in a row and boom, terrible downswing for a week. Moral of the story, drinking is a no go. At least for the first year or whatever. I wonder where I would be right now without all of those "screw ups". Especially the most recent one because I was doing so damn well. I'm kinda getting back to that point again thank God!
    Regarding coffee, TMO recommends it!
    Thanks for posting this. This has been my observation as well. I've had a couple nights of drinking that didn't trigger a downswing, but the ones that did are devastating.

I woke up last night an hour after going to sleep to a nightmare of me getting killed lol. I had the "PFS wired/anxiety feeling" upon waking like when I first crashed. Super scary stuff. This is 2 nights after the night I got drunk. I really hope I didn't reset my progress.

PFS progress.PNG

Wanted to attach this image of my progress so far. I've been tracking how I subjectively feel as far as symptoms go for the past 2 month; 10 = feeling amazing, 1 = feeling like dying. The days where I drank alcohol are in red. It's interesting how it doesn't always trigger a crash, but seems to trigger one 50% of the time. Never touching alcohol again, at least for a year.
    Last edited by covfefe42; 10-21-2019 at 01:28 PM.

New Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Looking forward to reading your recovery, I have been looking for people who have been on both finasteride and dutasteride. I did it in the opposite order to you, first I was on Avodart which I took for 8 months, went off for 2 years then started back up on finasteride thinking it was a good idea (idiot).

Would you say that everything was as normal when you were taking finasteride and it was the dutasteride only that messed things up? I was actually worrying that maybe it's possible finasteride is worse than dutasteride despite knowing that dut is a much stronger and longer lasting drug.

When did you quit dut? If you're still feeling sides, not sure if you know but avodart has a 5 week half life. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere from a reliable source that it takes around 6 half lives for a drug to be effectively eliminated from your system, so if you're still crashing then the drug might still be in your system but will be flushed out eventually. If things are starting to improve then it will only get better.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoloch View Post
    Hi

Looking forward to reading your recovery, I have been looking for people who have been on both finasteride and dutasteride. I did it in the opposite order to you, first I was on Avodart which I took for 8 months, went off for 2 years then started back up on finasteride thinking it was a good idea (idiot).

Would you say that everything was as normal when you were taking finasteride and it was the dutasteride only that messed things up? I was actually worrying that maybe it's possible finasteride is worse than dutasteride despite knowing that dut is a much stronger and longer lasting drug.

When did you quit dut? If you're still feeling sides, not sure if you know but avodart has a 5 week half life. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere from a reliable source that it takes around 6 half lives for a drug to be effectively eliminated from your system, so if you're still crashing then the drug might still be in your system but will be flushed out eventually. If things are starting to improve then it will only get better.
    Hey man. Yeah I was able to tolerate Fin pretty well, no noticeable sides for the 2 years I was taking it. Then I got greedy and started switching to Dut which fucked everything up.

First I had no libido while I was on it, then I stopped taking Dut and was just on Fin. Sides seemed to clear up for a bit. Then 10 days after my last Dut pill, I woke up in the middle of the night w anxiety, ED, and unable to sleep. Have been crashing ever since (almost 3 months later). Seems that I crash once every 2–4 weeks or so.

Yeah I was considering that it may be the long half life of Dut, but who knows. I seem to have a lot of the symptoms of PFS, and have gotten worse after quitting the drug than while I was on it. We’ll find out soon enough I suppose.

But I’m prepared to go forward with the protocol regardless. Will be starting my juice cleanse within the next couple weeks or so. Already on paleo diet and started implementing some supplements such as Spirulina, Chlorella, Vit D and Magnesium. Here we go!