User Tag List

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lower back injury from pull ups

Hi guys can anyone give me advice on my lower back injury If they have some experience of it or they know about it. I got it from pull ups. I generally know my maximum weight I can pull in most of the movements but while doing pull ups I accidentally let my lower back stay loose and jerked the pull up little bit. I get sharo pain in lower back sometimes when I bend backwards. I took rest from gym for the last few days. The pain goes from my lower back towards my left hip whenever I bend backwards.

- - - Updated - - -

Will be seeing the physiotherapist today. But staying away from meds.

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravmeena View Post
    Hi guys can anyone give me advice on my lower back injury If they have some experience of it or they know about it. I got it from pull ups. I generally know my maximum weight I can pull in most of the movements but while doing pull ups I accidentally let my lower back stay loose and jerked the pull up little bit. I get sharo pain in lower back sometimes when I bend backwards. I took rest from gym for the last few days. The pain goes from my lower back towards my left hip whenever I bend backwards.

- - - Updated - - -

Will be seeing the physiotherapist today. But staying away from meds.
    I’m sorry to hear that you got a lower back injury. Were you using a weighted plate attachment when you were doing the pullups? How much weight was attached?

Do stay away from the meds, but ultimately let the healthcare professionals look at it and examine you in person, and hear what their diagnosis and recommendations are. There might be some kinds of physical therapy that you’ll need to do, but hopefully it’s nothing too major.

I would personally recommend being extremely careful if you strongly prefer using weighted plates for your pull-ups. The plate can put a lot of pressure on one area, depending on what you’re using to attach it to you - I’ve mostly seen harnesses where you can attach 1 or more 45 lbs plates. I think a weighted vest is a better alternative because the weight is going to be more evenly distributed across your torso, and you’re not dragging a plate up with you. Your body is just going to be heavier with the vest on, although there’s a limit to how much weight you can add so it’s not going to be as extreme as using the plates. But I don’t think it’s worth it to use plates.

As a side note, I would do pull-ups with the palms facing forward, since this makes the movement more difficult. Most people are initially stronger doing chin-ups, but I feel like pull-ups involve the lats more strongly.

Another thing to think about would be possibly treating pull-ups as more of a volume exercise, as opposed to something like the bench press. If you’re really good at pull-ups and can do 20+ in a row, great! Just do pull-ups to within a few reps of failure, with no added weights, and set your watch for 60 seconds in between sets. Do not rest any longer than that, because we want this to be a strength exercise. The first couple of sets mostly tire you out, and as you do more sets, you will struggle to just do 8 to 12 each set, and these sets are very productive, yet safe. By shortening the rest period, you’re increasing the intensity of the exercise without adding additional weight (or risks of injury.)

OTOH if you are passionate about using weights for your pull-ups then I would look into the weighted vest option. I would never attach a 45 lbs plate, personally. You have to be careful with your back, I know of people who have permanent back issues from lifting something too heavy, and that can also happen in the gym. It’s smarter, in my opinion, to focus on higher volume workouts when it comes to the back. I would take this as a warning call once you recover, to possibly rethink the back workouts and consider less weight, but more volume and less rest time.

Hopefully this isn’t a significant injury, the physiotherapist should hopefully be able to shed some light on what happened. Feel better soon, man!

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t think it is anything major as advised by doctor. However not being able to go to gym is frustrating. The doctor said it would take about 1 week to recover nothing serious.
    Currently I don’t use weight use as I can do only about 8-9 reps of pull ups without weights(low muscle mass from PFS).

What was your experience with ultra hard let’s go?

I did one short cycle sexual improvements were clearly visible harder erections.
    Thickening of semen have stayed permanent and it more pleasurable while edging than before. Earlier there was almost zero libido now it is better than zero.