Was that question for me or Rodja??
    I'm going to guess you.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Scope75's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've already gave my definition of functional strength. It's strength you use or can use everyday in the real world and isn't dependent on how much you can lift or move in the weight room but what you can do in the real world.
    Free weight training gives you functional strength but sometimes being strong in the weight room doesn't mean shit in the real world.
    Now I never said free weight training is non-functional, and if it came off that way I didn't mean for it too.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scope75 View Post
    I've already gave my definition of functional strength. It's strength you use or can use everyday in the real world and isn't dependent on how much you can lift or move in the weight room but what you can do in the real world.
    Free weight training gives you functional strength but sometimes being strong in the weight room doesn't mean shit in the real world.
    Now I never said free weight training is non-functional, and if it came off that way I didn't mean for it too.
    You did imply that basic BB training doesn't translate into "real world" strength. If you train for strength in the gym, it will carryover to anything else.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    You did imply that basic BB training doesn't translate into "real world" strength. If you train for strength in the gym, it will carryover to anything else.
    Getting my thoughts threw in words isn't one of my strengths so if it came off that way that's not what I meant or was trying to say.
    I lift to get stronger and fitter, so I train in the gym doing the basics and more, but I also do other types of training. Tire flips and things like that are just fun for me and that's one of the main reasons I enjoy and recommend them to others.

Established Member Feedback Score 2 (100%) Coolazice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry, Scope... I understand what you were trying to say. Not quite sure why you're getting your balls busted on this one when I'm sure others understood it too.

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by h2s View Post
    Inb4prowler.
    I keep coming back to checking out prowlers but it's a little more $ than I want to spend on a new piece of equipment.

A good one with all the bells and whistles would be pretty fucking sweet but they don't come up too often on Cl.
    The spirit that I have seen may be the devil: and the devil hath power to assume a pleasing shape; yea, and perhaps out of my weakness and my melancholy, as he is very potent with such spirits, abuses me to damn me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xxiv View Post
    I keep coming back to checking out prowlers but it's a little more $ than I want to spend on a new piece of equipment.

A good one with all the bells and whistles would be pretty fucking sweet but they don't come up too often on Cl.
    1 page back I posted blueprints to make your own.
    If you can't do it take it to a fab shop and they'll be able to build it and it should be less than retail if they are a decent shop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scope75 View Post
    1 page back I posted blueprints to make your own.
    If you can't do it take it to a fab shop and they'll be able to build it and it should be less than retail if they are a decent shop.
    I made my own the other day out of pvc but it didn't work out as well as I was hoping, my kids like it though. I would fabricate my own out of metal but after all that time, material and work it would be less cost to buy a new one with warranty and 1 year no questions asked return policy from the site i get my other stuff from.
    I am going to pick up a kettle bell and add some variety to my routine, if i still need satisfaction I'll get a new one when fringesport run their holiday promo.
    The spirit that I have seen may be the devil: and the devil hath power to assume a pleasing shape; yea, and perhaps out of my weakness and my melancholy, as he is very potent with such spirits, abuses me to damn me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had those blueprints for a couple of years and still have t made one, and I have acces to the metal and welder to get it done.
    Moving back into town will get me to build one so I can use it at the football field or baseball park.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrow View Post
    Kettlebell swings. Although it is a versatile tool and it's easy to put together some solid circuits. Single arm over head press, turkish getups, clean's, jerks, etc. That would be my vote. Probably start with a 35# bell.

Rational being: when tire flipping you should be firing your hips, keeping back straight and tight, and working grip. All three of those key attributes can be hit with a kettlebell. And it takes up virtually no space. Plant it in the corner when not in use.

just my 2 cents.
    I had my wife grab me a 35lb kettlebell from work the other day and I have been incorporating it into my routine. Thanks for the recommendation, it's a fun piece of equipment. 35 is plenty heavy but I'm going to go for some heavier ones just to have around, I should have gotten some years ago.