User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

medicine slam ball routine for cardio and conditioning

I am looking to expand on my conditioning options at home. After the seagull shit incident last week I just don't feel like tire flipping. Its getting cold out so I'd like to bring it indoors for a little while anyways.

this is the site i get my stuff from and this is what i have been eyeballing.

Gymnastic Rings, Kettlebells At FringeSport — Slam Balls

Insight would be appreciated as to what weight ball would be the best investment for a first ball and what exercises are the most fun and beneficial.
    The spirit that I have seen may be the devil: and the devil hath power to assume a pleasing shape; yea, and perhaps out of my weakness and my melancholy, as he is very potent with such spirits, abuses me to damn me.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) h2s's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Subscribed. Not really my area as i dont do much conditioning at home, but i am still curious of the experiences of others

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 Cobalt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting, get in shape by throwing shit to the ground? I'm game.
    If you can bench more than you can squat, you're doing it wrong!

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Scope75's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll for sures work!!
    When I have to do manual labor using a sledge, moving feed/hay, cutting wood and things like that will leave me sore even thou I workout.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another lovely consequence of the spreading of CF...

Med ball slams, along with any form of plyometrics and/or Oly lifts, are NOT designed for conditioning purposes. These are designed for maximal force development, which is something you cannot do in a fatigued state.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    These are designed for maximal force development, which is something you cannot do in a fatigued state.
    Where would I find a purpose for slam ball type exercises? What would you suggest to supplement tire flips?
    The spirit that I have seen may be the devil: and the devil hath power to assume a pleasing shape; yea, and perhaps out of my weakness and my melancholy, as he is very potent with such spirits, abuses me to damn me.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Scope75's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know of anything that can replace a tire flip because they are IMO one of the best full body workouts.
    I love functional strength and that's what you get along with a bunch of other benefits from tire flips.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xxiv View Post
    Where would I find a purpose for slam ball type exercises? What would you suggest to supplement tire flips?
    Anything that is used for force development should be done at the beginning of a session and for low reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Scope75 View Post
    I don't know of anything that can replace a tire flip because they are IMO one of the best full body workouts.
    I love functional strength and that's what you get along with a bunch of other benefits from tire flips.
    Another annoying phrase: "functional fitness." WTF is that even supposed to mean?
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Established Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Sorrow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xxiv View Post
    What would you suggest to supplement tire flips?
    Kettlebell swings. Although it is a versatile tool and it's easy to put together some solid circuits. Single arm over head press, turkish getups, clean's, jerks, etc. That would be my vote. Probably start with a 35# bell.

Rational being: when tire flipping you should be firing your hips, keeping back straight and tight, and working grip. All three of those key attributes can be hit with a kettlebell. And it takes up virtually no space. Plant it in the corner when not in use.

just my 2 cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrow View Post
    Kettlebell swings.
    I'll get one, thanks for the insight.