User Tag List

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carb backloading/bananas

So I haven’t carb backloaded in some time, I stopped mainly due to not being able to enjoy my workouts as much in the gym if I didn’t eat carbs before my workouts and only after. Id like to start backloading again but had a question.

Fruit, mainly bananas are a staple in my diet. I eat bananas throughout the day, am I still able to do that while backloading? What about fruit in general? I know they have a lot of carbs. I find it difficult to eat things other than fruit throughout the day because I try to avoid nuts. I’m not talking about meals, just like snacking stuff.

What do you guys eat during the day until you backload?

After thinking about it for a minute I think it may be easier than I thought. I have something like this planned-

Breakfast-
    Hard boiled eggs, avocado, coffee/mct oil, handful of spinach, Morning herb

Snack: Apple

Lunch- chicken breast and sautéed vegetables (meal prep)

Snack before gym (?) need ideas. Something to give a boost in the gym. Afternoon herb

Dinner- chicken breast or ground turkey, sautéed veggies, potatoes/bananas/fruits, bone broth

Easier than I thought I guess but let me know how that diet looks.
    Last edited by Turnover25; 12-21-2020 at 10:51 AM.

Moderator Feedback Score 0 Cdsnuts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnover25 View Post
    So I haven’t carb backloaded in some time, I stopped mainly due to not being able to enjoy my workouts as much in the gym if I didn’t eat carbs before my workouts and only after. Id like to start backloading again but had a question.

Fruit, mainly bananas are a staple in my diet. I eat bananas throughout the day, am I still able to do that while backloading? What about fruit in general? I know they have a lot of carbs. I find it difficult to eat things other than fruit throughout the day because I try to avoid nuts. I’m not talking about meals, just like snacking stuff.

What do you guys eat during the day until you backload?

After thinking about it for a minute I think it may be easier than I thought. I have something like this planned-

Breakfast-
    Hard boiled eggs, avocado, coffee/mct oil, handful of spinach, Morning herb

Snack: Apple

Lunch- chicken breast and sautéed vegetables (meal prep)

Snack before gym (?) need ideas. Something to give a boost in the gym. Afternoon herb

Dinner- chicken breast or ground turkey, sautéed veggies, potatoes/bananas/fruits, bone broth

Easier than I thought I guess but let me know how that diet looks.
    A few things:

Backloading is best done with complex carbs, ,not simple ones, as they give more of an insulin response, which is what you're looking for when backloading. To make this more responsive, it is recommended to not go over 30g of carbs during the day on a day when you plan on backloading.

Stick to rice, potatoes, yams and gluten free grains and products. You get way more bang for your buck this way.

In regards to snacking on fruit during the day....I'd say you have to play around with it and see what gives you the best results.

Also, the energy you get for working out doesn't come from what you consume directly prior to going to the gym. That's a fallacy. It comes from what you ate the day before and how much rest you've given your nervous system. Once learning to workout fasted, I can't do it any other way now. WAY more energy then when I have something digesting in my stomach.

Start giving this a shot. Work out on an empty stomach. Give it a month. You'll never work out on a full stomach again. This also makes your post workout feedings that much more effective, especially backloading.
    Last edited by Cdsnuts; 12-22-2020 at 05:30 AM.
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdsnuts View Post
    A few things:

Backloading is best done with complex carbs, ,not simple ones, as they give more of an insulin response, which is what you're looking for when backloading. To make this more responsive, it is recommended to not go over 30g of carbs during the day on a day when you plan on backloading.

Stick to rice, potatoes, yams and gluten free grains and products. You get way more bang for your buck this way.

In regards to snacking on fruit during the day....I'd say you have to play around with it and see what gives you the best results.

Also, the energy you get for working out doesn't come from what you consume directly prior to going to the gym. That's a fallacy. It comes from what you ate the day before and how much rest you've given your nervous system. Once learning to workout fasted, I can't do it any other way now. WAY more energy then when I have something digesting in my stomach.

Start giving this a shot. Work out on an empty stomach. Give it a month. You'll never work out on a full stomach again. This also makes your post workout feedings that much more effective, especially backloading.
    Thanks bro. I researched and found that 1 Apple had like 29 carbs, so the plan is to just move all fruits to the backloading window. I’m going to give the fasting workouts a shot too, sometimes I have issues eating a ton of carbs at night because I’m not hungry so Id imagine that’s going to help. I’ll update you eventually once I give that a shot for a few weeks.

Another thing. What about water from the drinking fountain? I’ve always drank filtered water from my fridge but at work we only have a drinking fountain and I’ve been wondering if whatever is in that water will set me back. I’m being nit picky but I don’t want to screw myself. I also avoid bottled water.

Moderator Feedback Score 0 Cdsnuts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnover25 View Post
    Thanks bro. I researched and found that 1 Apple had like 29 carbs, so the plan is to just move all fruits to the backloading window. I’m going to give the fasting workouts a shot too, sometimes I have issues eating a ton of carbs at night because I’m not hungry so Id imagine that’s going to help. I’ll update you eventually once I give that a shot for a few weeks.

Another thing. What about water from the drinking fountain? I’ve always drank filtered water from my fridge but at work we only have a drinking fountain and I’ve been wondering if whatever is in that water will set me back. I’m being nit picky but I don’t want to screw myself. I also avoid bottled water.
    I would avoid bottled water simply because those things are estrogen bombs filled with chemicals. The water fountain I imagine would be okay.
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"