Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Injury worsening symptoms?

Hey guys,
    Been lurking on the forum a little while and doing the protocol. Tl;dr, I was doing deadlifts with some shitty form at home and I've hurt my lower back, now it seems like my numbness and ED are worse than before, but it could just be the ordinary ups and downs of the condition. At the same time though I don't want to dismiss what could be a big deal, but it's hard to address this with doctors who basically think I'm delusional anyway and won't grasp the issue, I myself can't distinguish between PSSD- which they won't acknowledge- and exacerbating muscle damage. Any advice?

Moderator Feedback Score 0 Cdsnuts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gats View Post
    Hey guys,
    Been lurking on the forum a little while and doing the protocol. Tl;dr, I was doing deadlifts with some shitty form at home and I've hurt my lower back, now it seems like my numbness and ED are worse than before, but it could just be the ordinary ups and downs of the condition. At the same time though I don't want to dismiss what could be a big deal, but it's hard to address this with doctors who basically think I'm delusional anyway and won't grasp the issue, I myself can't distinguish between PSSD- which they won't acknowledge- and exacerbating muscle damage. Any advice?
    If you have health insurance go and make sure there is no damage to the muscle. Most likely, you just pulled/strained something. That injury wouldn't give you worsening numbness and ED, so it's most likely unrelated.

And a word of advice. Until you have your strength up and are making progress in the gym, skip the deadlifts. They are a fantastic exercise for producing all kinds of good hormones but they are very technical lifts and if not done with precision will lead to injury....There are plenty of other leg movements you can do to work out the wheels without risking a bad injury.
    Last edited by Cdsnuts; 02-05-2021 at 11:14 AM.
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdsnuts View Post
    If you have health insurance go and make sure there is no damage to the muscle. Most likely, you just pulled/strained something. That injury wouldn't give you worsening numbness and ED, so it's most likely unrelated.

And a word of advice. Until you have your strength up and are making progress in the gym, skip the deadlifts. They are a fantastic exercise for producing all kinds of good hormones but they are very technical lifts and if not done with precision will lead to injury....There are plenty of other leg movements you can do to work out the wheels without risking a bad injury.
    I strongly agree.

Even one of my friends, who literally has an IFBB pro card (after winning progressively harder bodybuilding competitions) injured her back deadlifting. And as a woman who doesn’t take steroids, she’s not lifting as heavy as average men who’ve been lifting for awhile, yet she still hurt her back badly even with those lower weights. So be careful (I’m taking to OP now, not you CD since I know you know all this.)

If you want to deadlift, then you need to build up your back muscles first, and once you’re ready, I would hire a good personal trainer for 1 - 2 sessions to show you the proper form and make sure you’re not doing it wrong.

Lower back injuries can be awful (thankfully I don’t have any), and if you jump into deadlifting too fast or have poor form or go too heavy, you can injure your back discs. Not saying not to do it, but deadlifts are not forgiving of 90% perfect form, or pushing out that one extra rep you can barely do (because you will automatically round your back when you’re straining at maximum effort.)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try partial deadlifts. Set the barbell at a height of around your kneecaps and lift from there. I have back issues as well and these aren’t as strenuous, but allow you to get all those great hormonal benefits of a heavy compound lift. Obviously if it hurts, stop doing them and wait til you feel better. But I think they should be fine depending on how bad your back is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option is single leg Romanian deadlifts, don't need hardly any weight to get a great workout

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Both partials and romanians are good replacement exercises.
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably, inflammation going up... I tore my rotator cuff in early December and it sucked, my advice for healing quickly is eat more carbs in your diet and give the muscle some rest. Then once you're healed go back on the more strict paleo diet.

New Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice guys, really appreciate it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tore a fist sized hole into my groin deadlifting when I was 20. Like my bowels were protruding into my ball sack. That exercise is no joke lmao. Had a huge sack for a while so you know, silver lining

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    I tore a fist sized hole into my groin deadlifting when I was 20. Like my bowels were protruding into my ball sack. That exercise is no joke lmao. Had a huge sack for a while so you know, silver lining
    Lol. Good way to find the positive in it.....lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zonz View Post
    Probably, inflammation going up... I tore my rotator cuff in early December and it sucked, my advice for healing quickly is eat more carbs in your diet and give the muscle some rest. Then once you're healed go back on the more strict paleo diet.
    The prohormones will help heal that a little faster then not.....fyi. Just make sure to go very slow and controlled and if ANYTHING hurts......STOP.