Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atypical PFS? "The Hero's Journey"

Hey gents,

First off, I have to say a sincere thank you to everyone who has detailed their journeys here and a special thanks to those of you who have stuck around post-recovery. The mental and physical resilience documented here is truly something to behold.

My Story:

My case of PFS seems to be somewhat atypical. I’m now 30 and took the drug for the first time last year for about three months (March-June 2020). I stopped a month or so in when I got sharp shooting pains in my penis but continued when three doctors asserted that this wasn’t from the finasteride. I started up again and the pain came back, even with less frequent doses, so I eventually quit altogether because I also developed what looked like a rash on my glans. I’ve been off for 9 months now and am still dealing with symptoms.

My symptoms:

1.      Pain - Penile pain (and erectile pain at times) and general pain in the pelvic area – shooting pains, stabbing, burning sensations, a sense of pressure in the penis and perineum etc. The pain fluctuates throughout the day, everyday, with remarkable consistency and stability (I get the same shooting pain everyday at 9:30 am, for example, and other pain sensations throughout the rest of the day)
    2.      Glans appearance – Inflamed glans (red on top and around the urethra opening); the “ridges” on my glans are also more pronounced now (i.e., it’s not smooth like it used to be); glans appearance also changes throughout the day; it can look purplish at times and very red at other times, and sometimes it doesn't look too bad.
    3.      Hypersensitive glans – glans is painful to touch; just brushing against the seam in my boxers is incredibly painful
    4.      Scrotum - Inflamed/red scrotum and vascular abnormalities in the scrotum (“spider veins”), including a varicolcele on the left side and maybe one on the right side; I think these developed a few months after stopping the drug.
    5.      Post-Ejaculation Pain – I get pain in the prostate? area shortly after ejaculation and my genital pain is worse in general for the rest of the day.

It seems like my case is a bit unusual, so I have a few questions.

Questions:

1. Do you think these symptoms are in fact finasteride-related?  
    2. Has anyone else experienced (and recovered) from these symptoms, in particular?
    2. Any thoughts on what my underlying issue might be? (My symptoms seem to overlap, at least to some degree, with pudendal neuralgia symptoms and I know that finasteride has been linked to pudendal neurapthy in at least one study.)

Any feedback would be much appreciated. I am just about to start the protocol now and look forward to watching and encouraging others along their journeys.

Thanks in advance!

P.J.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I do think most of those are finasteride related. Keep us updated on your progress

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also from some research I’ve done, it is possible that men with low testosterone may experience symptoms of benign prostate enlargement.

Moderator Feedback Score 0 Cdsnuts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaSolid View Post
    Yes I do think most of those are finasteride related. Keep us updated on your progress
    He does not have typical pfs symptoms. Not sure why you think he does? Care to share?

- - - Updated - - -

Also from some research I’ve done, it is possible that men with low testosterone may experience symptoms of benign prostate enlargement.
    What does this have to do with his case?
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdsnuts View Post
    He does not have typical pfs symptoms. Not sure why you think he does? Care to share?

- - - Updated - - -

What does this have to do with his case?
    Sure bro. Actually I acknowledge these symptoms are not typical of PFS but I’ve come across a dozen of finasteride/ dutasteride users, including myself, who have experienced this. Most of them were sub 30 year old guys like me and OP. It’s a symptom that’s noticed enough to where a correlation between them and fin/dut should be at least considered. I believe this because of the ABSENCE of these experiences BEFORE fin/dut usage and given what we know about the nature of 5-alpha blockers and their direct impact on the function of the parts of the male reproductive system. Some more reasons why I believe some of OPs symptoms are related to finasteride use, and I can’t confirm with 100% certainty but I think so,

1.Because of my similar experience that’s improved since being on the protocol, the shooting pains and other sensations, hypersensitive glans, the post ejaculation prostate pain/discomfort. I’ve experienced all of these and more after my 2 month stint with the drug with the only factor changing before and after those two months being my ingestion of dutasteride. I can’t say whether or not OP has had any pelvic injuries but assuming there is an absence of an external force then finasteride is the likely culprit because of its interference with the male enzymes and hormones and the prostate having a connection to penile pain and glans discoloration.

2.OP is at a younger age where these problems are not common clinically.

3. There are a few clinical studies where Men with Metabolic syndrome that experienced low test had inflamed/enlarged prostates that had symptoms of pain the OP described and feeling of pressure in the perineum. After 6 months of testosterone supplementation their symptoms improved.

4. Inflammation- we know pfs can cause inflammation and OP described symptoms of inflammation on the scrotum and penis.

My second comment is just a suggestion/useful thought. It’s possible OP has lower amounts of testosterone after his use of fin so my claim indicates the possibility of low test causing these symptoms.

OP also mentioned nerve interference after finasteride use, I haven’t done research on this so I’m not sure but it’s also not something I’m ready to rule out.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sure bro. Actually I acknowledge these symptoms are not typical of PFS but I’ve come across a dozen of finasteride/ dutasteride users, including myself, who have experienced this. Most of them were sub 30 year old guys like me and OP. It’s a symptom that’s noticed enough to where a correlation between them and fin/dut should be at least considered. I believe this because of the ABSENCE of these experiences BEFORE fin/dut usage and given what we know about the nature of 5-alpha blockers and their direct impact on the function of the parts of the male reproductive system. Some more reasons why I believe some of OPs symptoms are related to finasteride use, and I can’t confirm with 100% certainty but I think so,

1.Because of my similar experience that’s improved since being on the protocol, the shooting pains and other sensations, hypersensitive glans, the post ejaculation prostate pain/discomfort. I’ve experienced all of these and more after my 2 month stint with the drug with the only factor changing before and after those two months being my ingestion of dutasteride. I can’t say whether or not OP has had any pelvic injuries but assuming there is an absence of an external force then finasteride is the likely culprit because of its interference with the male enzymes and hormones and the prostate having a connection to penile pain and glans discoloration.

2.OP is at a younger age where these problems are not common clinically.

3. There are a few clinical studies where Men with Metabolic syndrome that experienced low test had inflamed/enlarged prostates that had symptoms of pain the OP described and feeling of pressure in the perineum. After 6 months of testosterone supplementation their symptoms improved.

4. Inflammation- we know pfs can cause inflammation and OP described symptoms of inflammation on the scrotum and penis.

My second comment is just a suggestion/useful thought. It’s possible OP has lower amounts of testosterone after his use of fin so my claim indicates the possibility of low test causing these symptoms.

OP also mentioned nerve interference after finasteride use, I haven’t done research on this so I’m not sure but it’s also not something I’m ready to rule out.
    Thanks for taking the time.

The nerve issues are related to fin all the way. That I would say was my worst issue.....the mental/nervous. Complete lack of neurosteroids

So now, including you, it makes two people that I've heard of this occurring. But if you experienced them as well, and for the fact that is was only after the treatments his problems started, then it would stand to reason it's most likely the culprit. I'm glad you chimed in!

Where are you at in your recovery so far?

I would put money on his testosterone being "lower" then "normal"
    Last edited by Cdsnuts; 04-08-2021 at 09:11 PM.
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have all the classical PFS Symptoms plus the sometimes painfull rash at the glans (always painful while having sex). I have had the pain in the Penis thing, but that has luckily disappeared over time. So yes, it sure is pfs related.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdsnuts View Post
    Thanks for taking the time.

The nerve issues are related to fin all the way. That I would say was my worst issue.....the mental/nervous. Complete lack of neurosteroids

So now, including you, it makes two people that I've heard of this occurring. But if you experienced them as well, and for the fact that is was only after the treatments his problems started, then it would stand to reason it's most likely the culprit. I'm glad you chimed in!

Where are you at in your recovery so far?

I would put money on his testosterone being "lower" then "normal"
    Haha merely a fraction of the time you’ve put in my brother, just trying to give back the good that was given to me best I can.

For sure man I’m with you fully on the neurosteroids being because of fin, like you the mental/nervous sides were my worst, the fear, anxiety, Depersonalization, derealization, depression, brain fog, anhedonia and disconnect. It was the biggest relief when I started recovering from these sides last fall and still continuing now. Being able to wake up and love life again, that zest and curiosity for life man I just don’t even know if I can ever put it into words. Not sure if you remember a thread I started few months back about me regaining that connection to the world and zest for life again that myself, yourself and Turnover and LetsGo chimed in on, about smelling things in the environment and feeling that connection again. What interested me from this post was OPs mention of pundendal neuropathy which was interesting, something I’ll look into.

Right now I’m doing better than I ever thought was possible when I first crashed 2 years ago. To be brief I’d put myself at a solid 40-50 percent right now. I know it might not sound like much, but man this is worlds better fuck that *galaxies* better than the suicidal, shaky, dark , meek shadow, hermit crab mess I was initially. The biggest gains have been mental with slight but noticeable sexual gains mainly involving sperm quality and libido. Still got a ways to go but it’s working man, life’s improved significantly. I’ll start my own thread to serve my due diligence back to the community and help other dudes out.

Forgive me P.J for my rambling bro, hope my response motivated you somewhat, it gets better. I don’t usually check this forum too often but I came across your post and a bell went off in my head, had to say something.

Forgot to also mention that the discoloration in the glans has completely subsided and the pressure in perineum area drastically diminished. The penile pain is present only if I over do it sexually. The glans hypersensitivity is still present but that has decreased as well
    Last edited by PashaSolid; 04-09-2021 at 12:22 AM.

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have experienced sharp pains in my prostate after orgasm multiple times over the years before fin use. Not often at all but I’d say around 5 times a year. This usually coincided with a strong urge to urinate even if almost nothing came out.

Ironic thing is I assumed this was because of an enlarged prostate which I thought would go away when taking fin as an added bonus on treating hair loss. Which it did so far as I have not experienced it since. Could also be because of the T supplements ofcourse.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Haha merely a fraction of the time you’ve put in my brother, just trying to give back the good that was given to me best I can.

For sure man I’m with you fully on the neurosteroids being because of fin, like you the mental/nervous sides were my worst, the fear, anxiety, Depersonalization, derealization, depression, brain fog, anhedonia and disconnect. It was the biggest relief when I started recovering from these sides last fall and still continuing now. Being able to wake up and love life again, that zest and curiosity for life man I just don’t even know if I can ever put it into words. Not sure if you remember a thread I started few months back about me regaining that connection to the world and zest for life again that myself, yourself and Turnover and LetsGo chimed in on, about smelling things in the environment and feeling that connection again. What interested me from this post was OPs mention of pundendal neuropathy which was interesting, something I’ll look into.

Right now I’m doing better than I ever thought was possible when I first crashed 2 years ago. To be brief I’d put myself at a solid 40-50 percent right now. I know it might not sound like much, but man this is worlds better fuck that *galaxies* better than the suicidal, shaky, dark , meek shadow, hermit crab mess I was initially. The biggest gains have been mental with slight but noticeable sexual gains mainly involving sperm quality and libido. Still got a ways to go but it’s working man, life’s improved significantly. I’ll start my own thread to serve my due diligence back to the community and help other dudes out.

Forgive me P.J for my rambling bro, hope my response motivated you somewhat, it gets better. I don’t usually check this forum too often but I came across your post and a bell went off in my head, had to say something.

Forgot to also mention that the discoloration in the glans has completely subsided and the pressure in perineum area drastically diminished. The penile pain is present only if I over do it sexually. The glans hypersensitivity is still present but that has decreased as well
    Thanks fellas for your inputs!

Seeing as it is pfs related, it will eventually clear up, along with all the other symptoms you maybe having. Just gotta put in the work. Congrats thus far!