Thread: Fasting

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fasting

Hi dudes,

I’ve started intermittent fasting and I’m now remembering why I never am able to stick with it, for some reason fasting makes me really bad, like thick heavy insane brain fog bad. All my extended fasts were intense. I was at my 16 hour mark this afternoon and had intense brain fog, then after I ate a bit it went away back to baseline. Any thoughts on why? I think it’s more than just “my body is cleansing”, I’ve always thought it might be a blood sugar thing, or maybe thyroid. The guys I’ve seen who had the massive, thick brain fog that got rid of it did so by correcting their thyroid, at least that’s my connection through the stories I’ve read. Not sure if that has any effect on fasting.

Seems to be right as I hit that metabolic state around 12 hours in things get weird for me. Strenuous exercise, especially cardio gives is also very strenuous on my body and gives me horrible brain fog, imagine spinning around in a circle really fast 10 times than trying to walk forward, that’s the exact sensation, besides the falling over dizzy part, just the vision, any feedback is appreciated
    Last edited by Turnover25; 08-22-2021 at 03:56 PM.

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When i started one meal a day i felt really bad and foggy but it got better after a month or so tho i still get it just not as bad. I would also like to know why it happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’re not supposed to exercise while extended fasting.

But yeah, fasting does “worsen” you. After 3 days of not eating even healthy people will have no feeling down there. It’s because your body is getting no nutrients, so it shuts things down.

The point of fasting is to rest and not do much of anything. If intermittent fasting doesn’t work for you, then that’s that. It’s not for everyone.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonz View Post
    You’re not supposed to exercise while extended fasting.

But yeah, fasting does “worsen” you. After 3 days of not eating even healthy people will have no feeling down there. It’s because your body is getting no nutrients, so it shuts things down.

The point of fasting is to rest and not do much of anything. If intermittent fasting doesn’t work for you, then that’s that. It’s not for everyone.
    I’ve never exercised during an extended fast.

I’m just stating that fasting, intermittent or extended causes a big increase in spacey, lightheaded dizzy type brain fog. Not sexual sides, that wouldn’t concern me as much. Trying to see if there’s an underlying issue I can aim to heal faster, ie adrenal fatigue, hypothyroid, low blood sugar, etc.

Moderator Feedback Score 0 Cdsnuts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turnover25 View Post
    I’ve never exercised during an extended fast.

I’m just stating that fasting, intermittent or extended causes a big increase in spacey, lightheaded dizzy type brain fog. Not sexual sides, that wouldn’t concern me as much. Trying to see if there’s an underlying issue I can aim to heal faster, ie adrenal fatigue, hypothyroid, low blood sugar, etc.
    Regardless of what it is, our bodies were designed to exist like that. It could be your body adjusting to not having three squares a day around the usual times. Could be blood sugar, could be all of what you mentioned. As long as you're doing the correct things, it will work itself out eventually. I would give it a few weeks. If it is still happening, They would probably want you to see a neurologist which would then send you down the medical rabbit hole. At that point, I would just not do IF. It's not something that is technically on the protocol anyway.

Other then when you fast, you feel "normal" right?
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdsnuts View Post
    Regardless of what it is, our bodies were designed to exist like that. It could be your body adjusting to not having three squares a day around the usual times. Could be blood sugar, could be all of what you mentioned. As long as you're doing the correct things, it will work itself out eventually. I would give it a few weeks. If it is still happening, They would probably want you to see a neurologist which would then send you down the medical rabbit hole. At that point, I would just not do IF. It's not something that is technically on the protocol anyway.

Other then when you fast, you feel "normal" right?
    My baseline is a lot better normally than it is during fasting, but normal is a stretch. The downswings I go into during fasting used to be how my normal everyday life was when PFS started. Scary to think about.

I actually felt really good today while fasting, decided to go to 17 hours instead of 16. But I was just sitting at my computer working, so I wouldn’t have noticed the spacey neuro symptoms as much as I would if I was in a conversation or something like I was yesterday when I noticed something was off

Moderator Feedback Score 0 Cdsnuts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My baseline is a lot better normally than it is during fasting, but normal is a stretch. The downswings I go into during fasting used to be how my normal everyday life was when PFS started. Scary to think about.

I actually felt really good today while fasting, decided to go to 17 hours instead of 16. But I was just sitting at my computer working, so I wouldn’t have noticed the spacey neuro symptoms as much as I would if I was in a conversation or something like I was yesterday when I noticed something was off
    So then it could just be an adjustment period.
    Total Male Optimization "People who say it can't be done shouldn't interrupt those that are doing it"

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0 Maximilien's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @CDNuts I know some people who messed up their metabolism with intermittent fasting and it can be hard to reverse. Of course there can be an adjusting period but it is not necessarily for everyone, same can be said about keto diet and almost every lifestyle choice.
    It all comes down to the individual in the end.
    When I started to doing IF years ago it was because I was never hungry in the morning and always felt energized and clear-headed that way. And whenever I would eat lethargy would hit, so it came to me intuitively. But for some it’s the opposite.

Furthermore humans have started to conserve their foods since thousands of years so it’s not given that they were fasting. At least I don’t think it should be an argument towards IF
    Last edited by Maximilien; 08-27-2021 at 01:03 PM.

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi dudes,

I’ve started intermittent fasting and I’m now remembering why I never am able to stick with it, for some reason fasting makes me really bad, like thick heavy insane brain fog bad. All my extended fasts were intense. I was at my 16 hour mark this afternoon and had intense brain fog, then after I ate a bit it went away back to baseline. Any thoughts on why? I think it’s more than just “my body is cleansing”, I’ve always thought it might be a blood sugar thing, or maybe thyroid. The guys I’ve seen who had the massive, thick brain fog that got rid of it did so by correcting their thyroid, at least that’s my connection through the stories I’ve read. Not sure if that has any effect on fasting.

Seems to be right as I hit that metabolic state around 12 hours in things get weird for me. Strenuous exercise, especially cardio gives is also very strenuous on my body and gives me horrible brain fog, imagine spinning around in a circle really fast 10 times than trying to walk forward, that’s the exact sensation, besides the falling over dizzy part, just the vision, any feedback is appreciated
    Sup brodie,

I'll keep it short. I personally don't do well IF fasting either. A lot of people don't. I think you nailed it on the head with thyroid, and I'll circle back to that. I don't think the benefits of IF are attributable to whatever biochemical, physiological processes occur due to the actual act of the IF fast itself; I think its from the removal of all the shit that most people who IF would have typically overate in the first place. If you're an overweight, metabolically unhealthy person, not eating is probably better for you than eating a bunch of carbs immediately upon waking up, essentially just jacking up your glucose regulation. Go look at the people on the IF subreddit who are claiming that IF is making them feel better. They're generally overweight, and they generally eat like shit the rest of their day. But I know you're not one of those people. I know what you bench.

Anyways, I've always had a shitty thyroid. My mom's on synthroid. My aunt is on synthroid. My dude cousin is on synthroid. It runs in the family. I have experienced the same degree of brain fog as you, lowered body temp, fatigued, generally shit, whenever I fasted, IF or extended. I had labs done during the period I tried IF fasting, and shortly after a few extended fasts. All three bloods looked the same. Low sex hormones, low Free T3 & T4, TSH ~2.5. I decided to go back to the habits I maintained pre-PFS when I always felt at my best, which was never skipping breakfast, always including a protein with a carb, and eating at least three square meals a day. It usually took about a week to get my engine churning again, a month to pur, but once it was on, it was on. I haven't gone back. Try looking up the RTN method on instagram. They're dopey, but I have implemented a lot of what they preach and everything has improved my situation tremendously. A few of their principles include: try and eat within 45 minutes of waking up; always include a protein with a carb; in terms of carbs, a balance of starches and fructose; eat before coffee; the list goes on. Now, my sex hormones are up, my Free T3 and T4 is where it should be, my TSH is 1, I generally feel way better, I don't have brain fog (by far the worst symptom I personally experienced, unrelenting, and I think it was on your level). Obviously the protocol contributes to this, but tending to my thyroid and throwing wood in the fire significantly helped me, and whenever I go without eating for a period of time, I can begin to feel the fog and shittiness creep back in.

But bro? If you can't go without eating for like a day and not feel like shit, are you even recovered? Fuck off.

Woah, did I just throw the hard r word out there?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratchet_V2 View Post
    Sup brodie,

I'll keep it short. I personally don't do well IF fasting either. A lot of people don't. I think you nailed it on the head with thyroid, and I'll circle back to that. I don't think the benefits of IF are attributable to whatever biochemical, physiological processes occur due to the actual act of the IF fast itself; I think its from the removal of all the shit that most people who IF would have typically overate in the first place. If you're an overweight, metabolically unhealthy person, not eating is probably better for you than eating a bunch of carbs immediately upon waking up, essentially just jacking up your glucose regulation. Go look at the people on the IF subreddit who are claiming that IF is making them feel better. They're generally overweight, and they generally eat like shit the rest of their day. But I know you're not one of those people. I know what you bench.

Anyways, I've always had a shitty thyroid. My mom's on synthroid. My aunt is on synthroid. My dude cousin is on synthroid. It runs in the family. I have experienced the same degree of brain fog as you, lowered body temp, fatigued, generally shit, whenever I fasted, IF or extended. I had labs done during the period I tried IF fasting, and shortly after a few extended fasts. All three bloods looked the same. Low sex hormones, low Free T3 & T4, TSH ~2.5. I decided to go back to the habits I maintained pre-PFS when I always felt at my best, which was never skipping breakfast, always including a protein with a carb, and eating at least three square meals a day. It usually took about a week to get my engine churning again, a month to pur, but once it was on, it was on. I haven't gone back. Try looking up the RTN method on instagram. They're dopey, but I have implemented a lot of what they preach and everything has improved my situation tremendously. A few of their principles include: try and eat within 45 minutes of waking up; always include a protein with a carb; in terms of carbs, a balance of starches and fructose; eat before coffee; the list goes on. Now, my sex hormones are up, my Free T3 and T4 is where it should be, my TSH is 1, I generally feel way better, I don't have brain fog (by far the worst symptom I personally experienced, unrelenting, and I think it was on your level). Obviously the protocol contributes to this, but tending to my thyroid and throwing wood in the fire significantly helped me, and whenever I go without eating for a period of time, I can begin to feel the fog and shittiness creep back in.

But bro? If you can't go without eating for like a day and not feel like shit, are you even recovered? Fuck off.

Woah, did I just throw the hard r word out there?
    I’ll have to pick your brain about this thyroid business, I’m getting mine checked via bloods in an hour or so. But the doctor only got the test for T4 and TSH… not T3… why are doctors the way they are?

I just got some Guggulipid which apparently helps cleanse the enzymes that transfer T4 to T3 so I’m hoping it helps. I’ve seen, through my research, a common denominator when it comes to brain fog through all the shit I’ve read, parts of the protocol, and how people recovered neurologically, and it all seems to be thyroid related. Might be because our adrenals aren’t working correctly so the thyroid isn’t either, might be fin wiped out our thyroid, no idea. But I’m shifting a lot of my focus to it.

I feel a bit better doing IF now, but sometimes not eating can really mess with me neurologically. I just like IF because it makes life a bit easier for me, knowing when and when not to eat, also I want to give my digestive system that much needed break every day, even if it is only 17 hours at a time. I don’t want it constantly running non-stop, snacking at night, snacking in the am, meals on meals, non stop go go go, I feel like it needs a rest. I’m also becoming ripped in record timing.

I read your other post on mine as well but I’ll just answer on here. I’ve eliminated things out of my diet that are sure fire triggers for brain fog, red meat being one of them. Steak makes me feel like total fuck. Same with beef. No good. I wish I could eat it but for now I’m gonna bin it. My diet is basically-

Fruits- bananas, apples, pears, grapes, oranges
    Meats- ground turkey, turkey bacon (not often), chicken (thigh,breast), eggs, some fish
    Veggies- squash, carrots, avocado, sometimes spinach but mainly cut that out. Anything with folate fucks me, anything cruciferous is bad too.
    Coconut oil, lemon water

Looking at that, it seems my diet is pretty restrictive. But that’s 2 years of listening to my body and knowing what makes my fog worse. A lot of paleo foods are bad for the thyroid as well which is what I’m aiming for.

Recently quit caffeine as well, well trying to. In the process. I love it but it’s a sure fire way to get brain fog amplified. Any tips are much appreciated, or just educating me a bit on thyroid. I’ll read your other posts a bit as well and try to narrow the details.

My prohormone cycles got me to a good point, but during them I tended to eat a ton of sugar, drank a bit, ate bad foods for “carbs”, just shot myself in the foot basically. They worked, but not as much as I’d like. So I’m gonna hit a fast, clean up the diet and then hit the PH again once I’m a little cleaner and they’ll work better. I’m referring to PropeciaHelp of course. Just kidding, fuck that place. Care to elaborate a bit on your diet?

So you’re doing a lot better I presume? I’m gonna hold you to that drink by the way, my friend.
    Last edited by Turnover25; 08-28-2021 at 01:57 PM.