User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rulk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bicep excercise to strengthen pulling power

I want really exceptional strength in all of my pulling techniques, as this helps with my submissions and pulling in general for jiujitsu.

I want to know what you guys think is the best Bicep excercise that would translate into more pulling power? I'm thinking Hammer Curls? How about Drag Curls?

Also for pullups, you guys think the underhand grip would be best for maximum pulling power? I will switch up grips regardless, to ensure strength in different angles.

Thanks in advance fellas!

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    High rep DB rows and neutral grip pullups
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    No curls though?

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) DJM's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    id agree,rodja will trump me in expertise, jmo, bicep strength doesnt seem to translate to pulling power, stronger back id think as stuff smaller muscle groups will assist when the bigger muscle (back) needs help (tris/delts on bench assisting chest)

noa does this question come more from you nursing a sore back more than anything else?

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) weekend's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wouldnt really call curling a pulling movement, so i don't see why curls would help pulling power. definitely underhand and neutral pullups, and underhand bb rows might be good too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    id agree,rodja will trump me in expertise, jmo, bicep strength doesnt seem to translate to pulling power, stronger back id think as stuff smaller muscle groups will assist when the bigger muscle (back) needs help (tris/delts on bench assisting chest)

noa does this question come more from you nursing a sore back more than anything else?
    Still nursing the back a bit, but the bodybuilder in me also wants some good looking biceps as well.

Quote Originally Posted by weekend View Post
    i wouldnt really call curling a pulling movement, so i don't see why curls would help pulling power. definitely underhand and neutral pullups, and underhand bb rows might be good too
    Brologic coming up- I figured since triceps play a part in pressing excercises, so would biceps play a role in pulling excercises as well. If it's nominal I could understand that, but I believe that biceps are and do help with rows and pullups.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biceps play a role in pulling, but it's far from the primary mover. Let me put it this way: I've maybe done 6 sets of biceps a month for the past two years and my rows have only been increasing in that time. I regularly get 18-20 with 145s these days.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biceps play a role in pulling, but it's far from the primary mover. Let me put it this way: I've maybe done 6 sets of biceps a month for the past two years and my rows have only been increasing in that time. I regularly get 18-20 with 145s these days.
    I figured as much, just trying to maximize pulling power with a bad L5. and you rowing 145's for 18-20 is beastly! That is motivation enough for me to put db rows back into my program regularly.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOA View Post
    Also for pullups, you guys think the underhand grip would be best for maximum pulling power? I will switch up grips regardless, to ensure strength in different angles.
    Dude, can you do pullups? You are a big guy, so if you can do pullups, you should have LOADS of pulling power.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    Dude, can you do pullups? You are a big guy, so if you can do pullups, you should have LOADS of pulling power.
    That I can^. I don't know if this is really strong, but I can hammer curl 75's without cheating, and that was in October. Since starting jits, I have laid off weights but I plan on getting after it now. My weakness is standing and bending over. Sometimes I can't even lift the garbage out of the can unless I am supporting my weight.

I will have to weigh myself on video and do some pullups so you guys know i'm not bullshittin ya'.