User Tag List

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pre Workout Static Stretching

Another reason why its a no no

Experience in resistance training does not prevent reduction in muscle strength evoked by passive static stretching.

ABSTRACT: This study examined whether passive static stretching reduces the maximum muscle strength achieved by different body segments in untrained and resistance-trained subjects. Twenty adult men were assigned to one of two groups: untrained (UT, N = 9) and resistance-trained (RT, N = 11). The subjects performed six one-repetition maximum load (1RM) tests of the following exercises: horizontal bench press, lat pull-downs, barbell curls, and 45o leg press. The results achieved in the last two 1RM tests were used for statistical analysis. A passive static stretching program was incorporated prior to the sixth 1RM test. The body fat content was significantly higher in the UT group compared to the RT group (P < 0.0001). Moreover, the RT group showed significantly higher proportion of lean body mass compared to the UT group (P < 0.0001). Maximum muscle strength on all four exercises was significantly reduced in both groups after stretching (P < 0.01). Furthermore, the magnitude of muscle strength reduction was similar for the UT and RT groups. The exception was for barbell curls, in which the muscle strength depression was significantly higher in the UT group compared to RT group (P < 0.0001). In conclusion, the passive static stretching program was detrimental to upper and lower body maximal muscle strength performance in several body segments. The negative effects of stretching were similar for subjects participating in resistance training regimens.
    PMID: 23207883

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rulk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to get the body warm with some light cardio before doing anything strenous ( in the gym ). In jits we do a light warm up and then proceed to stretch. I need to get in the habit of stretching afterwords though.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Scope75's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to start stretching too because I get some crazy cramps sometimes.
    Plus it feels good to be flexable and agile.

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some recent research that also suggest that static stretching prior to or during resistance training will likely lead to reduced gains in strength.

CHRONIC EFFECT OF STATIC STRETCHING ON STRENGTH PERFORMANCE AND BASAL SERUM IGF-1LEVELS.

ABSTRACT: Improving the process of how physical performance is enhanced is one of the main topics evaluated by physiologists. This process often involves athletes as well as non-athletic populations. The purpose of this study was to assess the chronic response to ten weeks of static stretchingexercises carried out before and during a strength training program for eight exercises on eight repetition maximum (8RM) test performance, andbasal serum IGF-1 levels. Thirty recreationally trained volunteers were randomly assigned into one of three training groups: 1) SBST (performed a warm-up with a static stretching protocol before each strength training session); 2) SDST (before each training set, a static stretching exercise was performed); and 3) OST (entire session was performed without any type of stretching exercise). Strength and IGF-1 levels were collected at the beginning (pre-test) and end (post-test) of the entire experimental procedure. All exercises showed a significant increase in muscle strength for the OST group. However, the results revealed a significant increase in muscle strength for only a few exercises in the SBST (LP, LE) and SDST (LP) experimental conditions. Significant statistical differences were found between SBST and SDST for all exercises in the OST experimental condition. Furthermore, IGF-1 expression showed no significant differences in intragroup analysis. However, the OST group showed higher values (p<0.05) in post-test when compared to other groups (increased significantly only in the OST experimental condition). It has been concluded that, while all groups showed an increase in muscular strength, but the strength training performed without any type of stretching exercise, regardless of if the stretching is performed prior or during the lifting session, can more effectively increase muscle strength as well as basal serum IGF-1 levels. It was concluded thatstrength training, with or without the use of stretching exercises, increased muscular strength in the studied groups, and can induce an increase inIGF-1 levels.

PMID: 23254543

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0 ExtraZeus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting stuff. I read somewhere a few weeks ago that you're more prone to injury if you stretch within the first couple of hours after waking because of excess fluid around your joints and discs from being relaxed all night. Instead they recommended stretching out before bed which I've been doing lately and my lower back which usually gives me fits has been feeling really good.
    I ain't afraid of SHIT!...except snakes.

Banned Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm right if you expand within the first several time after getting because of unwanted liquid around your joint parts and disks from being comfortable all evening. Instead they suggested extending out before bed which I've been doing lately and my returning which usually gives me suits has been sensation really good.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Right Hook's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pre Workout Static Stretching

Dynamic stretch pre workout. Mobilize and activate the CNS. I posted a bunch more research here - Pre Workout Static Stretching - Dont Do It - LeanBulk Forums | Fitness Discussion Group | Fitness Forums

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best time to stretch is towards the end of the workout in my opinon.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Grape Ape's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel this is just a fad way of thinking. I hear it from someone new everyday. Granted, I haven't read much into it. Just doesn't seem valid enough for me to care.

I suggest warm up sets instead of stretching. Ex: body squats, squat with light weight, and then my main/heavy sets. I still stretch before or invetween sets if I feel I need too.

If your playing a sport, I will always suggest stretching+warm up. I would never have gone through a wrestling practice without stretching. I've seen people get hurt this way.

How much strength do I stand to loose by stretching?