User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rulk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Article on "Stop Eating Wheat?"

Syndicated Content | Provided by Vertical Accuity | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

My local news had this article. Is it time to stop eating wheat? The past 2 years I have made some major changes to my diet and will continue to do so untill I get it as right as I can ( for me anyways ).

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) weekend's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bah, but what about my toast, sandwiches, pizza, and cheeseburgers?!!?! don't think i could make many more gains...

it sure is easy to get cut up without gluten though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went gluten free for a long time. I'm going to go back to it, but here and there I will have some. I'll be switching over to grass fed beef as well, even though I hardly eat red meat anymore- wait, maybe that's why i'm not as strong as I used to be... Ah, could be me getting older.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 Cobalt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing that I would like to point out is that they are generalizing breads in the article.
    I avoid 'white' breads and other stripped down flours as much as possible.
    I also avoid "whole wheat" as well.
    What I go for is "whole grain." Whole grain means the WHOLE GRAIN is ground up to make flour. Whole wheat only has to contain a really small percentile of the grain to make it count.

That isn't saying that you can just stuff your face with whole grains and be good. You still need to use moderation.

I worked at a bakery for a while. We bought huge bags of wheat berries (wheat grain) and ground them up every morning to make our breads. The whole grain bread was simple: Whole grain flour, water, yeast, salt, and honey. No preservatives or other crap.

I lost a good 25 pounds while working there, after switching from "whole wheat" to their whole grain.
    If you can bench more than you can squat, you're doing it wrong!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice^. I still dig Ezekial bread and Dave's Killer bread. The only bread I eat with any regularity really.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whole grain doesn't mean dick either. Corn is a freaking grain. Whole grain is primarily marketing tactic as they now have "whole grain white bread."

Oddly enough, from an inflammatory and nutrient absorption perspective, white bread is actually the lesser of two evils as it doesn't contain the anti-nutrient lectins.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Mr_math's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pick up mostly Ezekiel bread just out of ease and I keep it in my freezer. I don't like things that can sit for weeks without going bad, seems wrong to me for some reason. Even though I grew up on wonder bread lol.

A friend of mine has celiac and a few other complications from it now. She has to have all gluten free. So we generally attempt to keep everything easier for her when she is over. Also why I started brewing gluten free beer. So far people like it....
    Use code MEM1153 for a discount on your TrueNutrition.com orders.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Scope75's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ezekiel bread FTMFW!!
    I like all the different types and when its toasted its to die for. Lol

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Eden's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rodja is right, White bread is actually better for you than the "healthy" Whole grain white bread, or whole grain bread. I believe a lot of the trouble with breads is how much we've messed with wheat, and the usage of GMO hybridized, high-yield, dwarf wheat. There are a lot of things in our supposedly healthy bread that do pretty strange things to the human body.

Obviously moderation does help, but some people should probably cut breads out. The only bread I consume is in my random pizza from time to time, I don't usually eat sandwiches, or hamburgers, etc.

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Article on "Stop Eating Wheat?"

Metabolically speaking the difference between white and wheat breads is minimal at best