Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Article on "Stop Eating Wheat?"

Dietary breads: myth or reality?

Abstract

AIMS:

To assess the differences in acute effects of whole wheat bread, wheat bran bread and rye bread--perceived as dietary (Low caloric!) breads--on glucose and insulin levels in patients with type 2 diabetes, as compared to white wheat bread.

METHODS:

One hundred twenty one type 2 diabetic patients were randomized into three groups as whole wheat, wheat bran and rye bread groups. Each group ate 100 g of bread with water with in 10 min. Blood glucose measurements were made at every 30 min in 2 h. Insulin was measured at fasting and at the second hour in the patients who do not use insulin. The same processes were repeated on the following day, with white wheat bread for each group.

RESULTS:

No significant difference was found in either glycemic or insulinemic effects between four types of breads when compared to each other (p=0.093 for glycemic effect and p=0.297 for insulinemic effect).

CONCLUSION:

Three different bread types consumed as an alternative to white bread in Turkey, increase blood glucose levels of diabetic patients similar to white bread.

PMID: 18367284

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Scope75's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow!
    I didn't know this about bread!!
    Guess there's not much point in buying any kind of special bread other than if you like the taste over the others.
    Kind of glad to read this but at the same time I'm not. Lol

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rulk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh, you think Ezekial is different enough to not be included with bread, in terms of how shitty bread is? I just wanna know if Ezekial bread is still good for me, ha!

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 Cobalt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOA View Post
    Josh, you think Ezekial is different enough to not be included with bread, in terms of how shitty bread is? I just wanna know if Ezekial bread is still good for me, ha!
    Ezekial is usually cast to the side because it consists of much less "whole grains" and more spelt (awesome wheat alternative), and other beans/lentils that are ground up into a flour.

The bakery I worked at made Ezekial and a full Spelt bread on fridays as a specialty.
    If you can bench more than you can squat, you're doing it wrong!

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ezekiel is generally gluten-free, IIRC, so it's one of the few "breads" that would pass my test.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Scope75's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Ezekiel is generally gluten-free, IIRC, so it's one of the few "breads" that would pass my test.
    Sweet!!
    If it passes his test its good for me!!
    I'm happy again. Lol