I have had a nagging low back issue for going on 4 or 5 months now. I believe it started when I was squatting deep without the necessary mobility. it started as minor irritation and has since progressed to significant pain and stiffness. it is always worse in the morning, then gets significantly better in a half hour or so as I get up and move around (but when I first get up it can be so bad that I have to lower myself onto the toilet or go down on 1 knee to pick something off the floor). xray revealed no mechanical disc issues so i believe it is an irritation which causes tightened muscles in an attempt to protect the joint.

Here is what I am doing:
1. doing overhead squats (bodyweight only) to improve mobility
2. stretching overall, but hip flexors and hamstrings especially
3. doing lying alternate knee-to-chest and opposite arm raises
4. applying a whole host of topicals including Voltaren (topical diclofenac), arnica, magnesium
5. Taking a slew of supplements including cissus, magnesium, hyaluronic acid, eggshell membrane, serrapeptase and boswellia
6. experimenting with different mattresses (I have 2 beds plus 1 mattress topper).
7. using a plastic massage tool with nubbies that gets in deep. I work my lower back really good while I am sitting around

I have totally stopped all squatting and deadlifting and am trying to avoid any exercise that causes me to feel tension or irritation in the lower back. however, sometimes even something as simple as picking up a heavy dumbbell can seem to wrench my lower back so I am in pain afterward.

so my questions are as follows:

a) Any other stretches I should be doing?
b) Any modalities I should be investigating? Chiro- or physio-wise?
c) I was thinking of getting one of those electrical muscle massage thingies or a TENS unit. anyone have experience with these?
d) Any leg exercises I can do in the meantime so that my lower half does not completely atrophy?

thanks guys. I really want to get my back fixed so I can get back to squatting and deadlifting.