User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They both threw the Russian hooks with the thumb flipped over, but that's where the comparison ends between them.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0 BR99TAL's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Igor and Fedor do not have any similarities. Igor was a pure kickboxer while Fedor came from a very illustrious Sambo background. Igor was a KO guy while Fedor had the best GnP and great submissions.

Overeem has some of the biggest hype for someone that's been KO'd multiple times by LHWs and has spent most of his HW career beating cans.
    cant argue in any way as im not in that scene, but as far as i remember, igor did sambo too but performed only kickboxing.
    anyways, i just was refering to punching as both seem to be fearless and just want to get in your face pretty hard.

cant argue on overeem either, just was impressed how he wrecked in those highlights.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They both threw the Russian hooks with the thumb flipped over, but that's where the comparison ends between them.
    hah, here i was thinking that russian hooks was a term no one would really know here :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BR99TAL View Post
    cant argue in any way as im not in that scene, but as far as i remember, igor did sambo too but performed only kickboxing.
    anyways, i just was refering to punching as both seem to be fearless and just want to get in your face pretty hard.

cant argue on overeem either, just was impressed how he wrecked in those highlights.

u wanna see some badasses from your homeland, check Peter Aerts and Ernesto Hoost on K-1. fkn Overeem beat aerts by literally pushing him around in the ring. im not a purist when it comes to roids in MMA, but i'll say, the only reason AO has a relevant career is because of roids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longBallLima View Post
    u wanna see some badasses from your homeland, check Peter Aerts and Ernesto Hoost on K-1. fkn Overeem beat aerts by literally pushing him around in the ring. im not a purist when it comes to roids in MMA, but i'll say, the only reason AO has a relevant career is because of roids.
    looking some vids now, really impressive... but im not from the netherlands

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looking some vids now, really impressive... but im not from the netherlands
    hah why tha fuck did i assume that? lol looked up ur location. stephan leko was a bit of a badass lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longBallLima View Post
    hah why tha fuck did i assume that? lol looked up ur location. stephan leko was a bit of a badass lol

maybe besim kabashi?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never heard anything regarding Igor having a Sambo background and his lack of takedowns and submissions shows that. His standup style was also more refined compared to the striking that is prevalent in Sambo.

Fun fact: Igor and Vitali Klitschko once trained at the same kickboxing gym.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never heard anything regarding Igor having a Sambo background and his lack of takedowns and submissions shows that. His standup style was also more refined compared to the striking that is prevalent in Sambo.

Fun fact: Igor and Vitali Klitschko once trained at the same kickboxing gym.
    Sherdog.com Preview: PRIDE Middleweight Grand Prix Critical Countdown - Igor Vovchanchyn vs. Alistair Overeem
    "VOVCHANCHYN: Ukrainian kickboxer and sambo stylist Igor Vovchanchyn trains with Igor Kovalev, Gennadiy Matsigora, Yuri Gudymahas and the rest of Team Vovchanchyn and carries an amazing 50-8-1-1 record in MMA."

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) DJM's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overeem has some of the biggest hype for someone that's been KO'd multiple times by LHWs and has spent most of his HW career beating cans.
    overeem oh man, whos he beaten? undersized belfort, then what?........ufc hyped him up for their HW division even tho he looked average in strikeforce against guys who havent even been added to the ufc roster......he debuts against brock who had no desire to even be in there and had both feet out the door already....wins but gets busted for peds before the dos santos fight, when we all fkn knew anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sherdog.com Preview: PRIDE Middleweight Grand Prix Critical Countdown - Igor Vovchanchyn vs. Alistair Overeem
    "VOVCHANCHYN: Ukrainian kickboxer and sambo stylist Igor Vovchanchyn trains with Igor Kovalev, Gennadiy Matsigora, Yuri Gudymahas and the rest of Team Vovchanchyn and carries an amazing 50-8-1-1 record in MMA."
    I've scoured looking for any footage or documentation of Igor and Sambo. If you look at it from a timeline perspective, he was already very active in MMA/NHB by the time he was 22 and had over 60 pro kickboxing fights by the time he started MMA/NHB. That leaves very little time for him to have picked up Sambo training.

That, and if you watch some of his early fights, it's very obvious that he had very little, if any, background in grappling. He eventually evolved to include some leglocks that are common to a Sambo fighter, but that would not make him a Sambo guy.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys