User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freepressright View Post
    You've gotta love those on-the-fly crises on stage. We were playing a show recently where the singer decided to spring Hotel California on us. We'd jammed it before, but I never really burned it into my head. This didn't turn out too bad for having to dig in my head for it.

Hotel Cali Solo - YouTube
    Considering you say you had no real practice of the song you did a dam good job. You wouldnt know.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Freepressright's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you watch the clip, you can see Rod, the singer, give me the quick, "Play the goddamn solo, now!" cue, LOL.

But thanks for the compliment. I spent years at open jam nights and have a good ear. There's a lot I can fake and improvise on the fly pretty proficiently.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) h2s's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Infamy View Post
    Not sure what your overall aim is, but if you want to record some music and even produce a CD, then it might be worth looking into picking up am 8 track portable studio. You should be able to get them pretty cheap. Or if the budget stretches, get a 16 track or more.

If you want to add some vocals to your track I can recommend a Neuman U-87 which is a vocal mic found in most studios. If thats not in your price range then the Shure SM-58 is a good quality, lower cost alternative which would work very well. Shure SM57 is a good instrument mic, although I know some guys like to use vocal mics for the instruments to give them more range. Personal preference here.

A few years ago I dropped about $4k on putting together a basic studio in my house and it works pretty well and the quality is fantastic. Bear in mind that my 16 track desk probably costs now about half what it did a few years ago so you wont need to spend as much as I did to get the same quality. Im sure for under $1k you can get all the elements for a very respectable sounding recording though.
    Not sure who the above was directed towards, but what type of music do you perform?

Also, damn expensive hobby, between my computer, mixer/tables, software on my to buy list, etc.. I am thousands in.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 markam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by h2s View Post
    Not sure who the above was directed towards, but what type of music do you perform?

Also, damn expensive hobby, between my computer, mixer/tables, software on my to buy list, etc.. I am thousands in.
    Tell me about it. Anyone want to buy a Akai 3200? Ram maxed out to 32mbs. There was a shortage of chips and 8mbs cost £400. Yes. Ouch!

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by h2s View Post

It was actually to you. I play guitar, bass, piano and can program some drum program's so a bit of a mix of stuff. I have a stage piano which does respectable string sounds too so it covers pretty much every instrument I'd want.

If you can't afford the stuff above then I don't know if you are an apple guy but if you are you can put together some respectable stuff on garage band. If you take a balenced line out from your decks straight into your computer you can layer up some tracks and garage band has some good standard drum and rhythm loop stuff (just ask rhianna! Ahem umbrella!)

By the way markam - I hear you! I have a gear acquisition problem and reckon if you broke into my house you'd be best taking the guitars and amps than anything else!! It doesn't help when Gibson charge £3500 for their special stuff and you can't get a decent sounding amp for less than £2500.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Freepressright's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was actually to you. I play guitar, bass, piano and can program some drum program's so a bit of a mix of stuff. I have a stage piano which does respectable string sounds too so it covers pretty much every instrument I'd want.

If you can't afford the stuff above then I don't know if you are an apple guy but if you are you can put together some respectable stuff on garage band. If you take a balenced line out from your decks straight into your computer you can layer up some tracks and garage band has some good standard drum and rhythm loop stuff (just ask rhianna! Ahem umbrella!)

By the way markam - I hear you! I have a gear acquisition problem and reckon if you broke into my house you'd be best taking the guitars and amps than anything else!! It doesn't help when Gibson charge £3500 for their special stuff and you can't get a decent sounding amp for less than £2500.
    Apparently there isn't a market for affordable vintage tube amps to modify? I have a number of killer sounding live rigs, many of which are old tube head units from the 1950s and '60s that I've either had modified myself or had my amp doctor modify to my liking.

I have amps few people have heard of that will eat most boutique amps alive.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) h2s's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Musicians/DJs/etc....

Ha, I am an apple guy now, long time hater. Just bought myself a 15" retina mbp. I have been trying to master the CD decks and mixer first (for those curious, I use time code through traktor pro), but want to move into production soon. Logic is the daw I plan on diving into. I have very limited experience with ableton live as well which I like, but logic just seems more comfortable.

I do have a desire to learn piano, but it would most likely be utilized as a midi device in logic.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 markam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)