User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Scope75's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOA View Post
    Thursday's training went well, but I probably could have gone a little harder. After Jits I had the energy to do some pull ups and do some monkey bars- much to my surprise. I can tell i'm getting in better condition on the mat and looking like I lost some weight.

I'm also really looking forward to my pulling day workout, so I can employ some curling for biceps. Lately though I have noticed that my lats get one hell of a workout just from training bjj.

Quick question to anyone reading: At your weight, how long can you hang from a straight bar? I would be shocked if anyone can do it for 5 minutes straight. Tomorrow if I go do bjj, I will try and test myself to see how long I can "hang".
    I'm in.
    BBJ sound like it would be a fun but taxing workout.

I'll have to see how long I can hang from the pull up bar. Be sure to post your results.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rulk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scope75 View Post
    I'm in.
    BBJ sound like it would be a fun but taxing workout.

I'll have to see how long I can hang from the pull up bar. Be sure to post your results.
    I hung on for like 15 seconds.. Pathetic.

12/11/12 jits update: Starting to get into deep waters with my cardio. Still horribly out of shape, but I can see differences compared to when I started. I can jog longer, do "knee ups" much better, im already more flexible. Technique is already much better and l'm relying less on brute strength and more on being smooth.. Some of the guys that were just manhandling me had a harder time dealing with me too.

12/10/12 lifting update: Lost a little bit of strength on push day, compared to last week, but we'll see if it's a trend ( hope not! ) by next monday's push day. I have been missing a pull day, but it's okay, as I do a lot of pulling already in jits class. Still though, I will be making an effort to get those pulling days in no matter what.

General update: Feeling so much better since I started Jits.. I am looking a little smaller and I have lost a little bit of weight, although it's been fluctuating over the last 3 months. I sit around 270-ish right now and I'd like to be closer to 260 by the end if this month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I do want to mention: I can do the monkey bars! they have a bunch of bars jutting out from the wall at the BJJ dojo I go to. Jumping up and doing variations of pullups ( can't do more than 4 or 5 right now ), I started to do monkey bar swinging to work grip. Mind you, I do this after class, so i'm pretty spent, but it's a good way to condition the body. I will be improving my hang time and grip strength with this fun little excercise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had a chance to see how long I can hang but I'll try it tomorrow and report back.

Sounds like your really digging jits and it making me want to get into something new.
    Really enjoy reading your and others progress because it gives me motivation to keep myself on track and keep making progress of my own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't had a chance to see how long I can hang but I'll try it tomorrow and report back.

Sounds like your really digging jits and it making me want to get into something new.
    Really enjoy reading your and others progress because it gives me motivation to keep myself on track and keep making progress of my own.
    Let me say first off, any posts from me during the hour of around 2am, I was a little tipsy. Went drinking with some friends to celebrate the end of the school semester.

Anyways.. Yes! Scope, I am having a blast! and when I get my lifting in, it gets that much better ( still a gym rat at heart ). I had dabbled in mma and jits before, but never stuck with it. This time it's different and it really has become so much more to me. In time this really could turn into a passion. The benefits about martial arts, especially the one i'm doing, are so abundant and worth the money and time spent.

I will be 36 in January, and if Brazilian Jiujitsu is something that gets me healthier and keeps my there, it's a no brainer to make it as much of a permanent part of my life as possible. BJJ has definetly humbled me as a person ( I was not arrogant before ), but it makes you realize that there are some tough mother fuckers out there, and your not as tough as you think. It shows you a long journey ahead of you, but you can tell right away that its fucking worth it.

And to satisfy the ironbug, I think of ways now to improve my Jits game, by employing certain lifts and excercises that will benefit it. A nice effect from the jits is that I get the long needed cardio I have been ignoring for so long, and it's also motivating me to want to do more cardio ( outside of the dojo ). All in all, this is a good thing and I am really happy.

I'd still like some decent looking guns though. Just saying.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) h2s's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Brazilian Jiujitsu

I am sure rodja would be able to help you with some training styles that will compliment the martial arts.

I used to always say "one day," and it never happened. I am hoping to get back into hockey sooner or later, but is no priority. My step brother has been fighting though. Still young in the game, but last i heard he was doing fairly well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet!!
    Nothing better than enjoying what your doing because that just makes you want to do and be better at it.
    I'm super competitive so I like anything that channel gets me or matches me up against someone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been fluxuating between 270 to 274 ish.. probably for the last 2 months. Lately I have been weighing in at 269, so i'm hoping this is a trend, and can hit as close to 260 by the end of this month. Gonna try to get to jits monday through friday this week and see what happens.

Quick update:

Appearance wise, I think and my wife thinks that my legs got bigger and more muscular. I definetly feel lighter going up stairs. My forearms since starting jits have gotten bigger and more defined as well.

The Lean Gains type of diet also seems to be working. On days when I don't do jits, I fast all day ( not including supps ) and have 2 meals at night. When I do jits, i'm starving and eat right after, and usually eat 2 more times in the evening. I'll stop eating when I get home and have a shake or some cottage cheese.

Not as strong as I was in September and October, but endurance and conditioning has gone way up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feels great when you can tell your lighter without getting in the scale because things just get easier.
    Keep it up and you'll be a lean mean arm baring machine!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by h2s View Post
    I am sure rodja would be able to help you with some training styles that will compliment the martial arts.

I used to always say "one day," and it never happened. I am hoping to get back into hockey sooner or later, but is no priority. My step brother has been fighting though. Still young in the game, but last i heard he was doing fairly well.
    Are you sticking with just physique orientated goals for now? As i'm doing jits, I will try to pursue a good physique while developing as a martial artists.
    Sweet!!
    Nothing better than enjoying what your doing because that just makes you want to do and be better at it.
    I'm super competitive so I like anything that channel gets me or matches me up against someone.
    For as long as I can remember, I have never been passionate about anything. I'll really get into something, then leave it to go to something else I like, and then back. Could be ADD I bet, as I can never settle into one thing I want to be in, or do.

Now I feel like Brazilian Jiujitsu may be something that I can be passionate about, which is pretty exciting for me. I don't want to go through my life never finding something I am really, really, passionate about.