Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rulk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scope75 View Post
    This shit sounds fun!!
    I am starting to have a blast. I'm improving, so this makes it more enjoyable. Try it Scope, it could change your life.

[QUOTE=Turbo6GN;6819]
    Quote Originally Posted by NOA View Post
    I dig the kneebar the most I can only do it on upper belts and not on fellow white belts. I have only been able to get a kneebar on a blue belt, but we spoke before we rolled and agreed we could do them between the both of us ( im a white belt ). Otherwise the school I go to, kind of frowns upon any type of leg and footlock.

I hear if one is locked on you ( a footlock ), at first it's like "okay..." but then the next day it can really hurt and sometimes it can last for months... impeding your progress as a consequence.[/QUOTE

We don't allow our white belts to try footlocks or kneebars while rolling. The problem with a foot lock, heel hook or toe hold is it goes from tolerable discomfort (like defending a choke for example) to severe damage in an instant. There is no onset of pain to tell you to tap so you try to ride it out, next thing you know ker-snap!!
    Yeah I kind of feel guilty. Against my carpooler/friend and jits partner, ( he is a blue belt ) we agreed to allow leg locks between each other.

Today it was instinct and I never agreed with my partner ( number 2 ), I just went for the kneebar. In kind he went for the ankle lock and I did'nt say shit. Fair is fair. I did not know that about severe damage in an instant, and I will try and avoid those types of holds. I do know that the upper UPPER belts do leg and foot locks on each other, but I will have to ask my coach what is expected and be patient if I can't do them ( yet ).

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Turbo6GN's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=NOA;6833]I am starting to have a blast. I'm improving, so this makes it more enjoyable. Try it Scope, it could change your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo6GN View Post

Yeah I kind of feel guilty. Against my carpooler/friend and jits partner, ( he is a blue belt ) we agreed to allow leg locks between each other.

Today it was instinct and I never agreed with my partner ( number 2 ), I just went for the kneebar. In kind he went for the ankle lock and I did'nt say shit. Fair is fair. I did not know that about severe damage in an instant, and I will try and avoid those types of holds. I do know that the upper UPPER belts do leg and foot locks on each other, but I will have to ask my coach what is expected and be patient if I can't do them ( yet ).
    Most of the higher (high purples, brown and black) belts I've watched will yell "TAP" as soon as one gets locked in, it just isn't worth the permanent damage, especially when rolling against your own partners. I learned to leave my ego at the door years ago, if I get caught so be it, learn the lesson and move on!!

Have fun and stay healthy!!

Established Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Sorrow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My best friend lives for ankle locks. Of course last time he applied one outside training he accidently broke a jackass's ankle. Literaly told the guy to quit f'ng with him, didn't. said tap or snap, wouldnt.. snap insued.

Glad you're having a blast!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Turbo6GN;6842]
    Quote Originally Posted by NOA View Post
    I am starting to have a blast. I'm improving, so this makes it more enjoyable. Try it Scope, it could change your life.

Most of the higher (high purples, brown and black) belts I've watched will yell "TAP" as soon as one gets locked in, it just isn't worth the permanent damage, especially when rolling against your own partners. I learned to leave my ego at the door years ago, if I get caught so be it, learn the lesson and move on!!

Have fun and stay healthy!!
    I do leave my ego behind, but sometimes not all the way. Definetly need to keep it fun and stay healthy, couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrow View Post
    My best friend lives for ankle locks. Of course last time he applied one outside training he accidently broke a jackass's ankle. Literaly told the guy to quit f'ng with him, didn't. said tap or snap, wouldnt.. snap insued.

Glad you're having a blast!
    Ouch! I hope I never have to use my Jits in a real life situation, nor my firearms. Thanks Sorrow!

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Scope75's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be so down to do something like this but I'd have to drive 1hr to do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be so down to do something like this but I'd have to drive 1hr to do it.
    I'd at least try it. My trek is around 30 minutes, but granted, it's on my way to work.

Update: 1/02/2013

Happy New Years guys!

So I did absolutely nothing for my whole winter break, and to top things off, I ate what I wanted, drank what I wanted, and therefore took two steps back. Going back to Jits today felt so awesome. Cardio was a bit off and strength was not as high as usual either.

I am rolling much better though, smoother and more technique. I learned 2 new cool leg locks today as well: A calf slicer from a lockedown half guard, and the other one I did not get a name, but it appears to attack the groin area and one of the knees.

Rolling:
    1st partner ( white belt ). I tapped to a lapel choke, but returned with a kimura to tap my partner out. I had an easy time passing guard and attempting the north south choke, but I could not seal the deal.

2nd partner ( blue belt ). Battled for position mostly, but I got one sweep in, which was cool. Time expired for a draw, with no submissions from either of us.

3rd partner ( blue belt ). ( should have been my 4th, but I sat out a round ). This guy is a beast, he wrestled before and all the times I have rolled with him, I have gotten my butt kicked. 1st time we rolled I think he submitted me twice, maybe 3 times. 2nd time we rolled, I tapped due to exhaustion, but I did exceptionally better that time. Today was the 3rd time rolling with him. I got in his guard, he pulls a nice sweep and battles for side and mount, which he gets eventually. He goes for an armbar and I roll out of it and get on top of him, while he is on all fours. He gets out, gets mount and goes for that armbar again, which he locks in this time and I tap. Time runs out. This guy is making me better and I really appreciate that.

4th partner ( white belt. Same guy as round 1. Both exhausted, I quickly gain side control and go for the kimura again, but this time he does not tap. I don't go after it and we go back to guard. Time runs out. Great day of rolling.

Post rolling- I try to do the monkey bars, but can't really muster the get up and go to do it.

Go to my other gym ( traditional weights and stuff ) and sit in the wet and dry sauna for a little over 6 minutes ( 5 in the wet, the rest in the dry ). I feel like this is helping. You sweat out the toxins, and hopefully the lungs get a little cleaning action from the wet sauna as well.

Nutrition: Had my pre/intra/post shakes ( thats a lot of water, about 60 ounces ). As of now I am so not hungry. I will do a shake just to get something in me and later on I will have grilled chicken with veggies.

Gonna try and do jits tomorrow and friday.

Established Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Sorrow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a great time man! I love sauna's.. trying to figure out the finances/placement to just build or order one for my house.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Scope75's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shakes shakes shakes!!
    Replace some of them with a chicken breast or some steak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrow View Post
    Sounds like a great time man! I love sauna's.. trying to figure out the finances/placement to just build or order one for my house.
    I'd love to have a sauna at the house. I've seen some that don't look outrageously priced, but for now the gym's sauna is working out very well. I want to find an article on heat shock proteins and saunas...

Yeah, I have not lifted in a while, but I am having a blast. Saturday and Sunday I should start my lifting program.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shakes shakes shakes!!
    Replace some of them with a chicken breast or some steak.
    Gonna have to work up to the amount of times I can start eating that way again. I have a chicken meal coming up real quick. I'll be lucky to get 3 in, and that's what is in my program. Tomorrow I will have at least one ground beef meal to mix things up.