User Tag List

Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    the article is interesting and well versed argument, unlike a few pages back

not american, but a human, my only rebuttal is this, he states carrying a gun around with him equals the playing field if a situation arises, and thats civilized, i ask this to you as americans, is your country so dangerous that possibility of danger is so present around the corner one must have his gun much like his car keys as he heads out the door?

impo, i just think dealing with 'the mugger' more severely, regardless of the state of his victim, would result in less of this action

as a child when you did wrong, mommy telling you no or daddy taking the belt to your ass (as a psych im against but for the purpose of this), which was more effective in stopping the undesirable action? daddy obviously as his consequence was more severe, and you as a child weighed that against the desire to commit whatever it is he opposed, and more than likely knowing the belt was a possibility you thought long and hard, the permissive parent has a child that will be a repeat offender because they are unfazed by the consequence. i see this all the fkn time.....children with no defined limits and subsequent consequences more often than not have behavioral issues of different degrees......because mommy and daddy didnt say no firmly enough, be it through a myriad of techniques.

murder, rape, robbery, ect will always exist, it has since beginning of time, but if it was managed better, more severe consequences as opposed to a horrific judicial system of deals and rules and different levels of murder where one can get off serving 2yrs cause it was involuntary or altered state of mind........a rapist is sentenced on was level of injury his victim obtained, rape and murder or rape and flee is still fkn rape imo, only instead of looking at one as more severe, it was actually two crimes, the second being more severe

you cant solve a gun violence with guns, that is the problem on a whole
    much like you dont hit your child for hitting
    I've only lived in TX and most of my life has been in low crime areas, but the first 12 years of my life were in Houston and not in the ritzy suburbs of Houston. I have never been involved in some form or even an attempt of a crime in my life and have only personally known one person who has been involved in anything beyond having something stolen from them (car jacking). My wife's cousin was recently shot in San Antonio, but that was a gang related crime.

It's not that the country is more violent; it's only that it's covered more vociferously. Fear sells and you only need to see the sales of security systems and prevalence of the commercials to see that it's working.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdon1588 View Post
    In the 1960's the National Guard killed students at Kent State and you ought to look up footage of a Guardsman firing a vehicle mounted "Ma Deuce" into an apartment complex.
    An american soldier killed 16 civilians in Afghanistan but that is not what makes the actions of the american military illegal.

I understand National Guard members have been murderers and such, but he was referring to a government action using the national guard as I understood it. Perhaps he was talking about a break-in where the criminal happened to be a member of the national guard, but I don't think that was the case.

Which, by the way, for someone who is as worried about the government infringing on privacy and liberties as he is, claiming the will to fire at members of national security in a public internet forum might not be the smartest of moves.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rulk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DJM, it sounds like you are for stiffer penalties, as a way to help minimize violent crimes. I always wondered why they didn't have some kind of crime awareness class in schools, throughout 1st grade, and all the way up to highschool. Teaching and hammering in that consequences of crime in society.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) h2s's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Tyranny in America? Somewhat funny vid

Quote Originally Posted by NOA View Post
    DJM, it sounds like you are for stiffer penalties, as a way to help minimize violent crimes. I always wondered why they didn't have some kind of crime awareness class in schools, throughout 1st grade, and all the way up to highschool. Teaching and hammering in that consequences of crime in society.
    They don't work. I took dare class at school, didn't stop me from smoking pot, lol.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) DJM's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOA View Post
    i doubt with all the budgetary cuts thats an option in the school system, however modeling by parents is equally effective

im with rodja in that the american media sensationalizes alot of this stuff, personally asking a 6yr old if they were scared after the incident in newtown is beyond fkn classless and an embarassment

its no wonder you get so many copycats, these psychos want something grandiose and the media gives them just that

we all know timothy mcvey but not one victims name

take the media exposure away and these nuts would just off themselves, and im applying my education in this assessment

killers wise iv said it before, uninvolved family if you dont notice these nutjobs slipping, as for run of the mill crime yes stiffer penalties as i referred to above

i understand crime in 3rd world countries like mexico but not the US

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rulk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. I remember meeting a reformed gang member who spoke to our class, and it made an impact on me.

@h2, I did lol.

Established Member Feedback Score 2 (100%) Coolazice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by h2s View Post
    I am not a fan of war at all, they accomplish little, but I wouldn't feel safe in a country without an extreme level of defense.
    So, h2s... let me get this straight. It's ok for government to use the ultimate form of lethal force to "protect our country", but we shouldn't have the ability to use certain firearms to defend our family and property. Also, nukes make you feel safe, but guns are really scary? Interesting philosophy.
    Last edited by Coolazice; 01-24-2013 at 10:49 PM.

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyranny in America? Somewhat funny vid

Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    the article is interesting and well versed argument, unlike a few pages back

not american, but a human, my only rebuttal is this, he states carrying a gun around with him equals the playing field if a situation arises, and thats civilized, i ask this to you as americans, is your country so dangerous that possibility of danger is so present around the corner one must have his gun much like his car keys as he heads out the door?

impo, i just think dealing with 'the mugger' more severely, regardless of the state of his victim, would result in less of this action

as a child when you did wrong, mommy telling you no or daddy taking the belt to your ass (as a psych im against but for the purpose of this), which was more effective in stopping the undesirable action? daddy obviously as his consequence was more severe, and you as a child weighed that against the desire to commit whatever it is he opposed, and more than likely knowing the belt was a possibility you thought long and hard, the permissive parent has a child that will be a repeat offender because they are unfazed by the consequence. i see this all the fkn time.....children with no defined limits and subsequent consequences more often than not have behavioral issues of different degrees......because mommy and daddy didnt say no firmly enough, be it through a myriad of techniques.

murder, rape, robbery, ect will always exist, it has since beginning of time, but if it was managed better, more severe consequences as opposed to a horrific judicial system of deals and rules and different levels of murder where one can get off serving 2yrs cause it was involuntary or altered state of mind........a rapist is sentenced on was level of injury his victim obtained, rape and murder or rape and flee is still fkn rape imo, only instead of looking at one as more severe, it was actually two crimes, the second being more severe

you cant solve a gun violence with guns, that is the problem on a whole
    much like you dont hit your child for hitting
    This post makes an excellent point. Our prison system is pathetic and seems to have a revolving door. When prisoners served longer, harder time, there was less crime. In this country today, people are growing up in such violent environments, prison isn't the deterrent it used to be. I know it will be debated, but gun violence is a symptom of a larger problem that requires such a MASSIVE sociological/societal changes, it would be a revolution in line with the Enlightenment of Europe after the dark ages. I think that, of all of the things wrong with the right wing in this country, the idea that the family unit needs to be restored is they're best idea. As you said, children need stability, rules and boundaries.

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0 AestheticOne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to sit down with you guys and hash out this stuff in a conversation, however i cant, and i have a horrible stomach virus that is making even this hard to type.

My views are simply this, if criminals have guns, i would like them too. I think Switzerland is a great example of how arming, training, and educating your citizens on guns, instead of simply trying to pretend they don't exist, is a better solution. I have yet to see someone put forth an argument backed by evidence that gun-control works.

I think this is an interesting article and would like to here your guys opinion on it.

If They Come For Your Guns, Do You Have A Responsibility To Fight?

Also for those of you that are Pro-Gun, Front-sight Firearms training out in Nevada is an amazing example of how citizens can be well trained to use their weapons, and educated, and i think anyone interested in getting trained should highly consider checking them out.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) DJM's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdon1588 View Post
    I think that, of all of the things wrong with the right wing in this country, the idea that the family unit needs to be restored is they're best idea. As you said, children need stability, rules and boundaries.
    crime rates are high in lower class neighboorhoods, why is detroit the crime capital of america.......generally lower class is the end result of lack of or minimal education, which usually is the result of the family environment, ect......its a chain reaction that starts very early........as you said the family, and ill say education, or lack there of, is cultivating your future criminals

the guy robbing the store in cobalt's example, was not an engineer, and more than likely his hand was forced because of lack of funds , the end result of a poor childhood model, subsequent lack of sufficient schooling and career opportunities, ends up in a rut of a situation and sees the robbery as a way at making money seeing other avenues arent there to him in his eyes, he came from a poor background of poor decision makers, and hes doing what he knows