User Tag List

Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by h2s View Post
    As much as I truely do not understand faith (not in term, but in how people have it), I don't have anything against the concept of God, nor the faith itself. My attack is on "religion" in the context of it's organized form.

Unfortunately, I do believe religion and faith play a larger role in destructive habits beyond just the radicals, but that is not a discussion I want to go into in respect for everyone else's beliefs.
    I definitely agree that religion has had a destructive force, but I firmly believe that religion and faith are two separate entities. Faith shouldn't be solely limited to words that define faith in the context of a belief in God. I'm sure that you know this but in the early Jewish faith, the Jewish people did not use a name for God or Yahweh openly. I think there were a lot of reasons for this, and the early texts indicate principles of cleanliness and other factors, but principally I think that it was a recognition of the inherent danger of defining the supreme sovereignty with the temporally limited context of language. Therefore, faith could also be defined as the belief of a sovereign principle. For me, that principle is in a righteous and forgiving God, but for others, that principle could be a faith in goodness or equality. Either way, faith is a transcendent belief that defies the empirical evidence offered by day to day reality. So, since faith is in opposition to that which is observable, faith cannot readily be deemed the causation of our worldly woes. That said, people often confuse their faith with their religiosity. Religion in a sense is adherence to a certain set of behaviors, and that, is simply not faith.
    Last edited by Macdon1588; 01-25-2013 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Word Choice

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdon1588 View Post
    I definitely agree that religion has had a destructive force, but I firmly believe that religion and faith are two separate entities. Faith shouldn't be solely limited to words that define faith in the context of a belief in God. I'm sure that you know this but in the early Jewish faith, the Jewish people did not use a name for God or Yahweh openly. I think there were a lot of reasons for this, and the early texts indicate principles of cleanliness and other factors, but principally I think that it was a recognition of the inherent danger of defining the supreme sovereignty with the temporally limited context of language. Therefore, faith could also be defined as the belief of a sovereign principle. For me, that principle is in a righteous and forgiving God, but for others, that principle could be a faith in goodness or equality. Either way, faith is a transcendent belief that defies the empirical evidence offered by day to day reality. So, since faith is in opposition to that which is observable, faith cannot readily be deemed the causation of our worldly woes. That said, people often confuse their faith with their religiosity. Religion in a sense is adherence to a certain set of behaviors, and that, is simply not faith.
    Well put. Faith and religion are very different yet often confused as the same. Religion is a man-made manifestation of a set of beliefs, i.e., "we as a group believe this way, so now we will define ourselves in a certain way and do or not do certain things". I have a faith in an infallible God, but I can't put that kind of faith into fallible humans. Humans are flawed and given enough time, will disappoint. Religion, being man-made, will do the same.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 markam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone asked me why I didn't believe in God. I said that the burden of proof was on them. So they stoned me to death.

Sorry, not funny.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markam View Post
    Someone asked me why I didn't believe in God. I said that the burden of proof was on them. So they stoned me to death.

Sorry, not funny.
    LOL it actually is

I feel that the constant ties between govt and religion are undemocratic and go against the 1st amendment (hey, it even comes before the 2nd!) but no one really screams about that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Tyranny in America? Somewhat funny vid

Quote Originally Posted by longBallLima View Post
    LOL it actually is

I feel that the constant ties between govt and religion are undemocratic and go against the 1st amendment (hey, it even comes before the 2nd!) but no one really screams about that!
    I can appreciate this. But keep in mind that many of the countrys original laws actually came from a Biblical standard.

While the laws about government and religion were to keep government out of religion and not the other way around, I do have issues with politicians parading a cause under the guise of religion in order to garner political support.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Tyranny in America? Somewhat funny vid

Quote Originally Posted by markam View Post

Sorry, not funny.
    Made me chuckle, actually. I'm sure when you said you had never seen God, that they felt you should be introduced. It's the polite thing to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    I can appreciate this. But keep in mind that many of the countrys original laws actually came from a Biblical standard.

While the laws about government and religion were to keep government out of religion and not the other way around, I do have issues with politicians parading a cause under the guise of religion in order to garner political support.
    well, Jefferson did speak of a wall between church and state, so I think, at least for some of the founding bros, it was meant to go both ways. I could be off here though, as it seems a little subjective.

Curious, does any SwoleSourcer believe in creationism and think it must be taught as part of science (or biology or whatever you guys have in school here)?

Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    Made me chuckle, actually. I'm sure when you said you had never seen God, that they felt you should be introduced. It's the polite thing to do.
    LOL

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) DJM's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wouldnt there be a conflict of interest ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    wouldnt there be a conflict of interest ?
    ??

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=longBallLima;10774]well, Jefferson did speak of a wall between church and state, so I think, at least for some of the founding bros, it was meant to go both ways. I could be off here though, as it seems a little subjective.

Curious, does any SwoleSourcer believe in creationism and think it must be taught as part of science (or biology or whatever you guys have in school here)? [Quote] I believe God created the universe through scientific means. I went to a Catholic school that taught that the two aren't necessarily conflictual. On this subject, any one that believes straight creationism is a literalist in book and I stay away from them as a rule.