User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator Feedback Score 3 (100%) BBG's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vitamin D + Calcium for healthier teeth

Cross-sectional study of vitamin D and calcium... [J Periodontol. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

J Periodontol. 2009 Sep;80(9):1433-9.
    Cross-sectional study of vitamin D and calcium supplementation effects on chronic periodontitis.
    Miley DD, Garcia MN, Hildebolt CF, Shannon WD, Couture RA, Anderson Spearie CL, Dixon DA, Langenwalter EM, Mueller C, Civitelli R.
    Source
    Graduate Periodontics, Saint Louis University Center for Advanced Dental Education, St. Louis, MO 63104, USA.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:
    A low dietary intake of vitamin D and calcium hastens bone loss and osteoporosis. Because vitamin D metabolites may also alter the inflammatory response and have antimicrobial effects, we studied whether the use of vitamin D and calcium supplements affects periodontal disease status.

METHODS:
    A cohort of 51 subjects receiving periodontal maintenance therapy was recruited from two dental clinics; 23 were taking vitamin D (>or=400 IU/day) and calcium (>or=1,000 mg/day) supplementation, and 28 were not taking such supplementation. All subjects had at least two interproximal sites with >or=3 mm clinical attachment loss. Daily calcium and vitamin D intake (from food and supplements) were estimated by nutritional analysis. The following clinical parameters of periodontal disease were recorded for the mandibular posterior teeth: gingival index, probing depth, cemento-enamel junction-gingival margin distance (attachment loss), bleeding on probing, and furcation involvement. Posterior photostimulable-phosphor bitewing radiographs were taken to determine cemento-enamel junction-alveolar crest distances (alveolar crest height loss). Data were analyzed with a repeated-measures multivariate analysis of variance.

RESULTS:
    Compared to subjects who did not take vitamin D and calcium supplementation, supplement takers had shallower probing depths, fewer bleeding sites, lower gingival index values, fewer furcation involvements, less attachment loss, and less alveolar crest height loss. The repeated-measures analysis indicated that collectively these differences were borderline significant (P = 0.08).

CONCLUSIONS:
    In these subjects receiving periodontal maintenance therapy, there was a trend for better periodontal health with vitamin D and calcium supplementation. More expanded longitudinal studies are required to determine the potential of this relationship.
    Last edited by h2s; 11-06-2012 at 10:13 AM.
    Super not-not-moderator BBG

Need extra cash? List of "Get Paid To" sites: Make $5 a day

Super Moderator Feedback Score 3 (100%) BBG's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe not the sexiest topic, but a lot of people have dental issues and I bet they don't get enough vitamin D (possibly not enough calcium).
    Super not-not-moderator BBG

Need extra cash? List of "Get Paid To" sites: Make $5 a day

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a tangent to periodontal health (and since it's almost flu season), I attribute a large portion of my overall health to emphasis on brushing my teeth 3-4x/day. The mouth and the GI are the first line of defense and make up a large portion of the immune system.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Mr_math's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBG View Post
    Maybe not the sexiest topic, but a lot of people have dental issues and I bet they don't get enough vitamin D (possibly not enough calcium).
    Indeed. Both are needed for actual absorption. Not to mention ascorbic acid being quite crucial as well on this front.
    Use code MEM1153 for a discount on your TrueNutrition.com orders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    On a tangent to periodontal health (and since it's almost flu season), I attribute a large portion of my overall health to emphasis on brushing my teeth 3-4x/day. The mouth and the GI are the first line of defense and make up a large portion of the immune system.
    Do you floss as well?

Good point. Although clean hands would be equally if not more important due to the beauty of mucus membranes. Granted this is relative to the type of infection that is occurring of course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_math View Post
    Do you floss as well?

Good point. Although clean hands would be equally if not more important due to the beauty of mucus membranes. Granted this is relative to the type of infection that is occurring of course.
    I seldom floss as the multiple brushings per day work just as well, IMO, and I change my toothbrush frequently. I feel the opposite regarding hand washing. I feel that we are too clean of a society and we have underdeveloped immune systems because of this. Fun fact: autoimmune diseases, which are essentially when an immune system goes full retard, seldom occur in cultures that we would consider dirty (the hygiene hypothesis).
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 Cobalt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was a good read BBG, thanks.

In addition to bone/teeth health, Vit D and Calcium can also give some help to High Blood Pressure as well.
    If you can bench more than you can squat, you're doing it wrong!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seldom floss as the multiple brushings per day work just as well, IMO, and I change my toothbrush frequently. I feel the opposite regarding hand washing. I feel that we are too clean of a society and we have underdeveloped immune systems because of this. Fun fact: autoimmune diseases, which are essentially when an immune system goes full retard, seldom occur in cultures that we would consider dirty (the hygiene hypothesis).
    Flossing is something I kind of enjoy. Feel like I get a better clean and my gums like it better as I have gotten older.

Can't say I'd agree with the hypothesis. Too many factors to consider granted I have not read the article nor heard of the hypothesis. But considering a comparison of a country with other pathogens with an different rate of exposure for each society would be hard to compare our culture to. After working in the lab for a few years in micro that would change ones outlook on cleanliness.

Autoimmune disorders vary and sometimes appear as genetic let alone idiopathic autoimmune disorders. I think there are other factors that play into other countries not focusing on autoimmune disorders depending on what countries are being considered. Knowing African countries have a higher mortality rate from parasitic and viral infections, and malnutrition. It would be hard to spend time focusing on something like that.... The us is fortunate enough to have regulations on a lot of the things that we are ingesting and procuring. I know people say fuck the FDA but I'm sorry. I'd rather not have intestinal worms from nightsoiling like many 2nd/3rd world countries. So with our lack of minor diseases and infections I can see how an increase of autoimmune disorders could be prevalent in our country.

Dunno. Just food for thought. I've seen a lot of people who lack hygiene and seen lots of nasty shit growing in them....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_math View Post
    Flossing is something I kind of enjoy. Feel like I get a better clean and my gums like it better as I have gotten older.

Can't say I'd agree with the hypothesis. Too many factors to consider granted I have not read the article nor heard of the hypothesis. But considering a comparison of a country with other pathogens with an different rate of exposure for each society would be hard to compare our culture to. After working in the lab for a few years in micro that would change ones outlook on cleanliness.

Autoimmune disorders vary and sometimes appear as genetic let alone idiopathic autoimmune disorders. I think there are other factors that play into other countries not focusing on autoimmune disorders depending on what countries are being considered. Knowing African countries have a higher mortality rate from parasitic and viral infections, and malnutrition. It would be hard to spend time focusing on something like that.... The us is fortunate enough to have regulations on a lot of the things that we are ingesting and procuring. I know people say fuck the FDA but I'm sorry. I'd rather not have intestinal worms from nightsoiling like many 2nd/3rd world countries. So with our lack of minor diseases and infections I can see how an increase of autoimmune disorders could be prevalent in our country.

Dunno. Just food for thought. I've seen a lot of people who lack hygiene and seen lots of nasty shit growing in them....
    IMO, people have an irrational fear of bacteria and think that they're inherently evil. I equate an immune system to a muscle: you need to work it in order to keep the system strong. I don't mean to go swimming in a septic tank, but watching people constantly apply sanitizer and washing their hands after touching something in public is asking to get sick. You can't eradicate germs and we all need to accept that fact. Granted, n=1, but I haven't had anything beyond a minor URI since I was a child and every one of the germaphobes that I encounter get sick multiple times per year. Coincidence? I think not.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, people have an irrational fear of bacteria and think that they're inherently evil. I equate an immune system to a muscle: you need to work it in order to keep the system strong. I don't mean to go swimming in a septic tank, but watching people constantly apply sanitizer and washing their hands after touching something in public is asking to get sick. You can't eradicate germs and we all need to accept that fact. Granted, n=1, but I haven't had anything beyond a minor URI since I was a child and every one of the germaphobes that I encounter get sick multiple times per year. Coincidence? I think not.
    I know what you mean for sure. Hear that from a lot of people. I am one of those people who sanitize all the time etc. I also don't get sick too often, when i do its most likely viral. When I worked in a hospital I think my immune system was the strongest it had ever been. Now being stuck on class with people that cough and sneeze all over each other. I can't do too much about that....

Bacteria is a huge part of our lives. We have more bacterial DNA in our body than we do of our own human DNA. Funny how it works. I love micro, this is why I am getting a degree in micro/molecular bio. I should do fermentation science but that's another topic in itself.
    Last edited by Mr_math; 11-06-2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: I like cars