User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rulk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrow View Post
    I have to agree. While I found it interesting, all of my current diet is based off me looking back at my own logs to see what had the effect I'm looking for at the time.
    I hear that. My memory used to be pretty good and I could recall a lot of what worked and what didnt. My logs were all up in my head, but it would have been better keeping actual logs. I went pass my comfort zone of eating for one season, and saw better than usual results in terms of strength and size, but to me it was not worth it. After years of toying with ideas, programs, and what not, I have a better understanding of how my body reacts, but every year it changes just a little bit, in different ways.

To me it wasn't how much protein I could eat in day that made a difference, it was how consistant I could be with "whatever", everyday that made a difference. And by "whatever", I mean what kind of regular lifestyle and habits you perform day in and day out.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Sperwer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Most of those citations are very, very weak in terms of length of study (very little will be observed in small populations and short periods of time) and Oly/PL'ing has only limited crossover to BB'ing in terms of actual training performed.

One thing the author only briefly touched upon and is not something that is minute is overall caloric balance. Many people substitue carb calories for fats/protein calories to control insulin levels. The author makes no mention of what to substitute for these calories and, let's be honest, is going against the grain in order to stand out.
    I don't share your impression that the author is merely being contrary for the purpose of appearing iconoclastic. His work is too careful for that to be the case; and despite his disdain for what he calls bro-theory, elsewhere he has taken a pragmatic view of the anecdotal evidence of bro-lore where the results of methodologically regirous science are too thin to be of much real significance.

That being said, on the merits, i am disposed in this case to defer to your expertise.

I'm also w / DJ, and others with a real feel for their own biochemical individuality, who privilege their own experience. In fact, i'm closer to the 2g/lb line myself - somewhere just north of 1.5. Any more than that my own personal limiter kicks in and i experience rapid, explosive projectile diarrhea!
    "The purpose of today's training is to defeat yesterday's understanding."

Established Member Feedback Score 0 markam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm taking in about 1g per lb, maybe a little more. More important to me is the quality of food and the (almost) absence of alcohol in my diet. Whatever the optimum amount of protein is, you'll obviously get far superior results if you're getting enough sleep and your diets in check.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) h2s's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Protein Intake - How Much?

I eat when I am hungry.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sperwer View Post
    I don't share your impression that the author is merely being contrary for the purpose of appearing iconoclastic. His work is too careful for that to be the case; and despite his disdain for what he calls bro-theory, elsewhere he has taken a pragmatic view of the anecdotal evidence of bro-lore where the results of methodologically regirous science are too thin to be of much real significance.

That being said, on the merits, i am disposed in this case to defer to your expertise.

I'm also w / DJ, and others with a real feel for their own biochemical individuality, who privilege their own experience. In fact, i'm closer to the 2g/lb line myself - somewhere just north of 1.5. Any more than that my own personal limiter kicks in and i experience rapid, explosive projectile diarrhea!

Granted, this is only from the blog post, but most of his citations are far too broad amongst the weight training population to gather any true impressions. It's because of this that I say he was a bit loose with the science and attempted to mold it to support his own position. This is one of problems with books on any topic: very few people will actually spend the time to even look at the abstracts much less the full text. Both the caloric and individual substrate needs of an Oly lifter, PL'er, and BB'er are going to be very different due to the inherent differences within the training.

Quote Originally Posted by h2s View Post
    I eat when I am hungry.
    This is generally where I stand on nutrition.
    Last edited by Rodja; 01-22-2013 at 01:43 PM.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 VayneZ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I know this thread was posted for a reason! I really needed this. I appreciate all of your input! And Rodja thanks for responding when you did!

I'm just really focus on my whole eating routine. Especially with the progress I've made on my cycle, I know it had way more to do with me lowering my protein intake to around where Mark is (a bit above 1g/lb). When I did my AAS cycle I was 1.5 - 1.75 and my fat intake was really low. Packed on size but definition was NOWHERE as it is with my PH cycle.

After PCT I'll cruise a little lower on protein, and perhaps increase fat more, especially on 0 carb days, see where that takes me.

But thanks again guys, for your input. This board has done so much for my overall progress and I owe all of you my sincere gratitude!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VayneZ View Post
    Well I know this thread was posted for a reason! I really needed this. I appreciate all of your input! And Rodja thanks for responding when you did!

I'm just really focus on my whole eating routine. Especially with the progress I've made on my cycle, I know it had way more to do with me lowering my protein intake to around where Mark is (a bit above 1g/lb). When I did my AAS cycle I was 1.5 - 1.75 and my fat intake was really low. Packed on size but definition was NOWHERE as it is with my PH cycle.

After PCT I'll cruise a little lower on protein, and perhaps increase fat more, especially on 0 carb days, see where that takes me.

But thanks again guys, for your input. This board has done so much for my overall progress and I owe all of you my sincere gratitude!
    I've actually had a slight shift in macros lately to put slightly more emphasis on carbs. My macros used to be 20/40/40 C/F/P, but I've moved it closer to 30/30/40 since my training sessions have gotten longer recently and to lessen some of the lethargy that is associated with 1T.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good shift especially for you kind of high endurance training routine.

In my case protein stays pretty much static throughout the week, and since I have been doing carb cycling lately, my C/F macro's would change based on low/no carb days to really HIGH carb days. The high fat intake on no carb days has done wonders for my physique. Restraining that a bit through PCT, and then I will be increasing fat and decreasing carbs overall. Right now my focus is Definition/toning.

You're current focus is strength/endurance correct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VayneZ View Post
    Sounds like a good shift especially for you kind of high endurance training routine.

In my case protein stays pretty much static throughout the week, and since I have been doing carb cycling lately, my C/F macro's would change based on low/no carb days to really HIGH carb days. The high fat intake on no carb days has done wonders for my physique. Restraining that a bit through PCT, and then I will be increasing fat and decreasing carbs overall. Right now my focus is Definition/toning.

You're current focus is strength/endurance correct?
    Pure strength. No emphasis on endurance outside of work capacity.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Pure strength. No emphasis on endurance outside of work capacity.
    Nice. Makes sense.