User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Sorrow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Both the caloric and individual substrate needs of an Oly lifter, PL'er, and BB'er are going to be very different due to the inherent differences within the training.
    It's your opinion, and your definitely entitled to it, and I can for the most part see where your coming from on this. Especially with the different end goals. But, I think this is one of those things we don't really see eye to eye on. And the training differences between bodybuilders and powerlifters, I honestly think there's a lot more in common then most people see. Especially if you go back 10-20 years. There's been a lot of trends over the last few years that each have their merits. But I don't see the results of any of those systems as being truly, clearly superior to the results of the older lifters. Could also be lost in the fact that we're typing on the internet rather then actually talking. Sometimes I read things a little different then their intended I think. And you've given a lot of sound advice on here from what I've seen.
    Sorry for the side track.

Back to the topic of protein I did find two decent studies while I was at work today on lunch break. I was rather surprised they didn't have a given length of study (duration) called out on them though. Good call on looking for that on the studies Rodja.

Effects of variation in protein and carbohydr... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

Higher Dietary Protein Intake is Associated with Lower Body Fat in the Newfoundland Population

My interpretation is that both these studies SUPPORT a high protein diet.
    Again, I suggest you keep an accurate diet log for as long as possible, combine that with a good blood pressure monitor, weight scale, and some sort of body fat analyzer. Keep track and record. Then you can make adjustments based on how your own body works. I have a spreadsheet that I've found is easy for me to update now that we all have smart phones and cloud services, so when I eat I update it. I struggled with that when I had just pen and paper.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Sperwer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrow View Post
    Again, I suggest you keep an accurate diet log for as long as possible, combine that with a good blood pressure monitor, weight scale, and some sort of body fat analyzer. Keep track and record. Then you can make adjustments based on how your own body works. I have a spreadsheet that I've found is easy for me to update now that we all have smart phones and cloud services, so when I eat I update it. I struggled with that when I had just pen and paper.
    This!
    "The purpose of today's training is to defeat yesterday's understanding."

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Grape Ape's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shoot for 1g per 1lb of LBM. Add an extra gram for every pound I want to gain in LBM. Usually in 5-10lb increments.

If you have 150lbs LBM, and want to gain 5lbs of muscle, then that would be 155g protein.

Anything above 1g per 1lb bodyweight is obsessive in my opinion. Unless your on cycle.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Protein Intake - How Much?

I tend to take in 30-60 grams per meal and leave it at that. Beyond that, I make sure my caloric intake is sufficient to accomplish my goals. You can take in 1 g per lb and still lose muscle if you are hypocaloric.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Eden's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take in about 275-375g protein power day at 195lbs

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) DJM's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Protein Intake - How Much?

^^^id be shitting logs all day at 375 lol

New Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Protein is necessary for the muscles building and muscles recovery.
    It also helps to burn the fat along with the muscles building.
    At least 200 grams of protein must be included in daily diet for the muscles building and fat burning purposes.

Maitland Personal Trainer
    Last edited by Milburn; 03-16-2013 at 06:49 AM.

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0 Jiigzz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This topic is very highly debated on almost all forums but there has been several studies on BBers and strength trainers that indicate that protein intakes of 1.4g per KG of body weight was the level in which whole body synthesis plateued. At protein intakes exceeding 2.8g per KG, Leucine oxidation increased 2 fold.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 markam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    This topic is very highly debated on almost all forums but there has been several studies on BBers and strength trainers that indicate that protein intakes of 1.4g per KG of body weight was the level in which whole body synthesis plateued. At protein intakes exceeding 2.8g per KG, Leucine oxidation increased 2 fold.
    And double that amount if you're on?

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Fat Bill Dwyer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiigzz View Post
    That's interesting. Can you help a brother find these studies?