User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 5 (100%) O_RYAN_007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pman42 View Post
    The problem with these fish oil scares is that they don't compare it to anything. PCBs are going to be soluble in the oil, but the mercury is mostly not. overall the toxicity would be less than eating fish. there's always these "heavy metals in ___" scares but if you pull up the hard numbers you see that FOOD, overall, contributes more toxicity than supplements.

guys, if you're using a molecularly-distilled oil, this doesn't apply to it anyway.
    Really?

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really on which part??

i just quickly pulled up some data and some lake fish can have as high as 10,000 ng per gram of fish. so yeah, that is more than the highest brand tested at a little less than 900 ng per daily exposure (you eat multiple ounces of fish, not grams). it looks like a lot of shellfish is in the 50-200 ng/g range, looks like even wild salmon ranges btween 3.9 and 8.1 ng/g wet weight so one could easily take in the amount in the oil. where are the class action lawsuits around those sources?

it looks like the highest one at 900ng is nothing to sneeze at but nothing to get super worried about. just use a molecularly distilled oil and you're good anyway.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 somm's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ProSource.net

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by somm View Post
    This is the fish oil I use and its molecularly distilled. And at a good price.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 markam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Universal Animal Omega is also molecularly distilled. Not so sure about the three packs of Olimp fish oil I bought last week, though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife puts Cod liver oil in my daughters baby formula. Its by a company called Nordic Naturals. EPA-410mg, DHA-600mg, Omega-3 225mg Omega-9 600mg. Its got a great taste, strawberry flavor. They say its 3rd party tested for environmental toxins, including heavy metals, dioxins, and PCBs. They say on the label that certificates of Analysis are available upon request. But for sixteen ounces at Super Suplements its like 40 bucks if I remember right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it really concerns you then go for a company that uses supercritical CO2 extraction of the fish oil. It prevents rancidity and doesnt concentrate the PCBs like most high pressure and heat methods.

This company sells it but be warned it's going to be way more expensive than Walmart!

Minami Nutrition Omega-3 Fish Oil Supplements

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) nate3993's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cod liver has some of the highest mercury contents in it. So does shark, and salmon. Mackerel, anchovy, and sardine actually have the least amounts. At least that's what I read. Which is weird because I had also read the smaller the fish, the more mercury. So idk. Someone more educated on the matter feel free to chime in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nate3993 View Post
    Cod liver has some of the highest mercury contents in it. So does shark, and salmon. Mackerel, anchovy, and sardine actually have the least amounts. At least that's what I read. Which is weird because I had also read the smaller the fish, the more mercury. So idk. Someone more educated on the matter feel free to chime in.
    The higher up the food chain, the greater the possibility of high heavy metal levels and pcbs. This is called biological concentration or bio accumulation and is a result of the "bigger" fish eat the smaller fish which are contaminated. The bigger fish are than eaten by bigger fish and so on up the food chain increasing concentrations of toxins each time.

Certain organs are high in toxin levels such as liver as it is responsible for metabolising them so they usually aren't a good idea to eat unless they have been tested properly that the toxin levels are safe.

If you combine the two and eat, say a sharks liver you can expect a high level heavy metals and toxins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Infamy View Post
    The higher up the food chain, the greater the possibility of high heavy metal levels and pcbs. This is called biological concentration or bio accumulation and is a result of the "bigger" fish eat the smaller fish which are contaminated. The bigger fish are than eaten by bigger fish and so on up the food chain increasing concentrations of toxins each time.

Certain organs are high in toxin levels such as liver as it is responsible for metabolising them so they usually aren't a good idea to eat unless they have been tested properly that the toxin levels are safe.

If you combine the two and eat, say a sharks liver you can expect a high level heavy metals and toxins.
    Dang....I better ask Nordic for those certificates of analysis!

Established Member Feedback Score 2 (100%) milehighguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    again, freshness, antioxident, quality of the fish (salmon/sardines), liquid ect is what i look for......also with liquid if its gone shitty you'll know as soon as you open it, with gels who fkn knows
    I totally agree on liquid versus gels...

Quote Originally Posted by Scope75 View Post
    Forgot about the liquid...
    That might be the route I take because of all the fish oil benefits.
    I have been using Carlson Labs Fish Oil in liquid form for some time now. Says contaminant free but who knows for sure.