User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most cost-effective supps?

Due to a few factors like being in school, working less, and having some unexpected expenses, money is real tight at the moment. i have had to scale back all non-essential spending. of course, SOME supplements are necessary so I am interested in your thoughts on which provide the best 'bang for the buck'. my current supps are:

o Foundational: multi (cheap 2 a day), fish oil, extra vitamin C, D and K.
    o Protein: was using a crossflow microfiltered isolate but recently picked up a CFMF isolate/concentrate blend to save some dough. I use this pre- and post-workout, post is with carbs.
    o Creatine: I use 3g of HCl pre-workout. on off days I use about 5g of monohydrate

What are some others that are pretty cheap and effective? thinkin bulk powders here, obviously, since they're the cheapest

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Scope75's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think about dropping supps and adding food.
    I'm cutting out supps all the time and plan to cut out more and more as I run out of things.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Most cost-effective supps?

Truth is, you don't need any supps. You just need to ramp up your dietary nutrition with foods. I spent the first 5 years of my training with no supps... even won bbing contests during that time.

Even today, I use precious few and if money was short, I wouldn't even buy the few I get now.
    Last edited by burlyman30; 01-26-2013 at 12:20 PM.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 Cobalt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you need to also be more specific on what you are looking for in the supplement. Something to help you get stronger? Leaner? Maintain what you have?

That being said, the only thing I can think of outside of what you listed is some BCAA's.

Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    I spent the first 5 years of my training with no supps... even won bbing contests during that time.
    Not everyone has the god-like genetics like you do, Mr. Pink Shorts.
    If you can bench more than you can squat, you're doing it wrong!

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) h2s's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say drop all but protein and creatine (only cause pn has it so cheap) and start buying your food in bulk, you have no idea how much you can save.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rulk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my joint supplement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post

Not everyone has the god-like genetics like you do, Mr. Pink Shorts.
    Lol. My genetics were crap, really. I managed my training and nutrition as if my life depended on it. I spent my free time reading books on nutrition, physiology, kinesiology, etc. I missed 3 workouts in five years of training. So the genetic advantage that I may have had back then was a lighting fast metabolism, which is great for getting lean, but a bitch for gaining muscle.
    Last edited by burlyman30; 01-26-2013 at 03:26 PM.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah, guess I should have specified goals. Goal is always size, more size. Right now I am doing a short ECA run to cut down a bit and prepare for my next bulk, which may or may not be enhanced by prohormones (undecided at this point). so keeping that in mind, anythign that helps with recovery and building lean mass, and is cheap, would be something I would consider in my arsenal.

Diet is already good, both quality and quantity-wise. I have identified effective ways of shopping without being gamed by the big supermarkets like most people, tricked into coming in for 1 thing on sale when the price on everything else is jacked up. 95% of my meals are home cooked, to save money and ensure quality, and most of my diet consists of: beef, chicken, salmon, eggs, oats, rice, veggies, almond butter, whey, milk, and veggies.

so yeah, besides BCAAs, any other ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peptopro is probably the most effective protein supplement I have come across in 28 years of lifting. If I could only take one supp, I would choose it above all others. Just my .02.

Beyond that, a multi. PHs and AAS are more than just supps to me, so they didn't get considered for the list.

Food is the most anabolic substance known to man. Let it do the rest. People forget that Arnold and Franco didn't have creatine, peptopro, bcaas, etc. when they were first training. It was training and copious amounts of food.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) h2s's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would agree on peptopro. It is definitely the last supp I would want to give up.