User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rulk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty much with what Sorrow said. Body image is the dominant factor in my quest. I'm starting to put more emphasis now on performance and longevity.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 5 (100%) O_RYAN_007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by h2s View Post

So how do you feel about this position. Do you feel it works to your advantage or disadvantage?
    I feel its an advantage, but its also a craze. I always feel that there are many different ways to be better, get stronger, and build more muscle. I seem to always seek better and stronger body. My wife also thinks I'm crazy, but she's starting to hit the gym more and she's seeing results. I think once you start your body transformation, it becomes and addition (it is for me at least). But this is also becoming more evident in my wife. She gets upset at herself if she doesn't hit the gym, or if she doesn't have enough time to get there. I got asked the question the other day, "when will you be satisfied with your physic?" I truthfully said, "Never." I'm def happy where I'm at now, but I feel I can do much more. When most of my co-workers go out to drink on Thursday nights, they always invite me... But I remind them where I'm going and they sigh. I used to be a pretty big party animal, but ever since I got into this game, thats changed! I still drink a couple beers or a glass of wine every now and then (just because I can't smoke pot for my job) but nothing like I used to. I love the body transformation aspect of this game, and being able to seek to always be Strong(er). Our "game" can be looked at like the game of Amateur Golf... These golfers always seek ways to lower their overall shot number... They'll do this by practicing, buying the new latest and greatest gear, and even get trainers to help them work on their problem areas. Some might ask, why do you do it, you'll never play pro... Well its a passion for some people, and regardless if they go pro or not, they just want to be the best they can be. Sound like any of you?

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    respect.
    The spirit that I have seen may be the devil: and the devil hath power to assume a pleasing shape; yea, and perhaps out of my weakness and my melancholy, as he is very potent with such spirits, abuses me to damn me.

Established Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Sorrow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    Interesting... I'm probably in the minority in the precious little I care about what people think of me. I shave ... sometimes. I wear ratty clothes. I don't pay attention to styles. But get me in front of a mirror and the perfectionist and artistic side comes out. I care what I think and strive to please that part of me.
    I'm the same. Notice the beard I'm not that into fashion. But I'll sit and nit pick all my lifts, spend hours analyzing my training diet records, and yeah the occasional trip to the mirror to see if I'm slipping a little too much.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main thing I've noticed is the lack of clear definitions and goal setting. 210lbs looks different from person to person depending upon age, limb length, height, BF%, etc. and skews perception. When you think about it, this starts with the ambiguity of judging of BB'ing as opposed to something quantitative.

This is why I prefer PL'ing. Tangible and measurable goals that can easily be tracked. Granted, the strength numbers are just as addictive, yet in a different fashion compared to BB'ing. Someone's opinion of how you look will vary, but the ability to lift 600lbs is something that you can't deny.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Established Member Feedback Score 2 (100%) milehighguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me lifting and going to the gym comes easy. The one thing I always look forward to each and every week. As you start to see the changes in the mirror it only becomes more addictive. You want to continue to get stronger and leaner.

Plus, most people are way unhealthy and/or fat. That just seems like the easy way out to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet if you showed a picture of me now, 240lbs and not fat, to my former fat self in middle school, or to the 180lb weakling that I turned into in high school after taking up long-distance cardio, he (I) would have given his left nut to look like I do. I have exceeded the goals I had in mind when I started weight training, for sure. but for me today... it's not enough. I want more size, more definition. part of it is probably something psychologically unbalanced in me, most of us on the board maybe. or maybe we're the sane ones and everyone else who doesn't strive to be more is crazy. part of it is the pure love of the iron. i love being in the gym, going through a routine. even on my shittiest day with a workout I didn't think measured up, I definitely feel BETTER afterward. training keeps me sane. it keeps me balanced, and it gives my life focus and direction to have short- and long-term goals. my training state is the best barometer i have found of my mood, and it is probably the single greatest contributor to a positive mood in my life. i love this game, and i know i'll be in it for life

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Eden's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that it's a good thing, you don't question when at a job you always strive for more, it's a positive quality. When I started lifting it was just because I didn't want to be weak, and due to a life crisis I had a lot of anger that needed an outlet. I had spent a lot of time wasting my anger on things that were destructive, and so I decided to put it into something that was positive and would give me something to be happy about later.

I also think body dysmorphia is also partially to blame, but I dunno we don't call people who are hard working ill, they are just hard workers. I think that some of us just have more determination, and will power than others, and sometimes we become so far outside their norm that they come up with illnesses to label others with. Not to say that people don't have body dismorphia I just think that there isn't anything wrong with wanting to be bigger, or whatever, when it becomes obsessive, or interferes with normal life then maybe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    simplyshredded has made it even worse for me.................

its a lifestyle and it works to my advantage...........keep striving
    Last edited by ctAL; 01-26-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Sperwer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See my signature.

At my age especially, it's like being a shark, if you are not moving forward you are (feeling yourself) dying.

Hmm. That was not intended to be as morbid as it sounds, but it is what it is.
    Last edited by Sperwer; 01-27-2013 at 06:02 AM.
    "The purpose of today's training is to defeat yesterday's understanding."