User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 Jelisej's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Vitamin D Discussion

Honestly, vitamin d daily dosage was a one of topics on this forum that we could not reach consensus as everyone had different opinion. Even the scientist cant agree on this one.
    My take is that based on estimated daily reqirement of vit d is somewhere between 400-800 IU, so I beleive that 1000 IU should be more than enough, though in some circumstances (deficiency) it could be upped to 2000 or in rare cases 3000 IU, and than reduced.
    But, thats my opinion. Also some sources say that max uptake for vit d is 4000 IU but that is debatable.
    And last- too much vit d can cause sleep issues and even mild insomnia.
    In the end, we all all different.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Freepressright's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've dosed it at 20,000 IU as an immune system booster during times of getting sick or having direct exposure. I've never had any ill side effects. Usually if I'm exposed to flu or coming down with something, the occasional mega dose has helped every time.

There is no reliable data out there to say what the 'right' dose is. The only way to know for sure, like any other hormone (vitamin D3 being a secosteroid hormone) is to have your levels checked.

I have, for at least two years now, taken 5,000 IUs per day in the winter and 2,000 in the summer with no ill effects. In fact, I think I've had some benefit where my thyroid is concerned. Either way, if I'm looking to remedy low test, personally I wouldn't take any less than 2,000 IUs a day. The RDI is ridiculously low.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) nate3993's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say. 5,000 IU vs not taking it, at least for me, equals no difference in how I feel. Stopped taking it. Optimen Multi at full dose? Also no difference. Optimum's a solid company, and my vit d was very much legit. I really do feel a lot these daily supps prolly don't do that much.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 Cobalt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So much knowledge in this topic, I think I need to go lay down.
    If you can bench more than you can squat, you're doing it wrong!

Established Member Feedback Score 2 (100%) Coolazice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelisej View Post
    Honestly, vitamin d daily dosage was a one of topics on this forum that we could not reach consensus as everyone had different opinion. Even the scientist cant agree on this one.
    My take is that based on estimated daily reqirement of vit d is somewhere between 400-800 IU, so I beleive that 1000 IU should be more than enough, though in some circumstances (deficiency) it could be upped to 2000 or in rare cases 3000 IU, and than reduced.
    But, thats my opinion. Also some sources say that max uptake for vit d is 4000 IU but that is debatable.
    And last- too much vit d can cause sleep issues and even mild insomnia.
    In the end, we all all different.
    My gf was just given a prescription for a 50,000IU dose of vitamin D to be taken once a week for 8 weeks. I had to read the prescription a few times to accept that a dosage that high was being recommended by a doctor.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolazice View Post
    My gf was just given a prescription for a 50,000IU dose of vitamin D to be taken once a week for 8 weeks. I had to read the prescription a few times to accept that a dosage that high was being recommended by a doctor.
    She must have a serious vit d deficiency and maybe other conditon, so she was put on such a extreme dose- for 8 weeks and than it will be reduced. Sometimes they inject people with like 60 000 IU or more but those are specific cases, in my post I always refer to "normal" people.
    High vit d brings a lot of sides- and all trials with older women supplementing was canceled because of high incidences of kidney stones etc.... Too much vit d also causes sleep disturbances, which is no-no in my book.
    But again, my opinion is my opinion- and sometimes its worthless.

Established Member Feedback Score 2 (100%) Coolazice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She must have a serious vit d deficiency and maybe other conditon, so she was put on such a extreme dose- for 8 weeks and than it will be reduced. Sometimes they inject people with like 60 000 IU or more but those are specific cases, in my post I always refer to "normal" people.
    High vit d brings a lot of sides- and all trials with older women supplementing was canceled because of high incidences of kidney stones etc.... Too much vit d also causes sleep disturbances, which is no-no in my book.
    But again, my opinion is my opinion- and sometimes its worthless.
    We are not aware of any other conditions she may have, but some tests were run. Perhaps the urinalysis will reveal something that a blood test didn't... I guess we'll see.

I apologize if it seemed like I was trying to disprove you. My intentions were to demonstrate a real world case of a doctor prescribing much higher doses than many of us had heard of or even thought about using. No sides so far.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are not aware of any other conditions she may have, but some tests were run. Perhaps the urinalysis will reveal something that a blood test didn't... I guess we'll see.

I apologize if it seemed like I was trying to disprove you. My intentions were to demonstrate a real world case of a doctor prescribing much higher doses than many of us had heard of or even thought about using. No sides so far.
    No need to apologies bro', first, I did not feel like you are trying to disaprove me and, second- you and everyone else is welcomed to question or post any objection to any of my post- as I try to point earlier I'm just a random guy like everyone else and I do sometimes get things wrong.

As for your gf dosage- I did hear of cases where they prescribed extreme doses of vit d- but they are infrequent like 3 injections a year of 60 000 IU, or couple of weeks with similar dosages- but I never met anyone of them, neither I understand reasoning behind rhat kind of therapies. Friend of mine has some kind of disorder with vit d- once he had collapsed at workplace and he is taking 4000 IU daily, now that is also different case from most of people here- and for them 4000 IU is not needed. Thing is lot of vitamins oppose each other so when you add one thing too much you may get deficiencies somewhere else.

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    make sure it's vitamin D3 and not drisdol (D2). D3 will do a better job at bring up blood levels.

the vitamin D dosage issue raised in this thread can be debated ad nauseum, but I always look at it this way: doses of multiple 1000s of IUs are the norm for human physiologoy. Studies have shown cancer reduction that can be dramatic in some cases, and 'normalizing' blood vitamin D to the level of summer sun exposure will require 4000-10,000 IU for most adults. we already know that these kinds of dosages are not toxic, so I prefer to err slightly on the side of "too much" (which time and research will show are actually correct doses) than too little, especially when the risks are so slight and the benefits so great. especially when taken with magnesium, vitamin K, etc, the theoretical risk of calcification is so slight. most guys on this forum, experimenting with tons of new hormonal products, would do well to optimize their blood levels.

this winter i've already done a few days of 50,000 IU at the onset of a bug (nuked it before it fully manifested) as well as my normal daily dose of 8 or 9000 IU. The blood level of 25(OH)D3 I got a couple weeks back was right in the sweet spot. in fact, it wasn't even considered too high according to the lab's reference range (last year I did 12,000 IU per day and came out slightly over the reference range). so adequate vitamin D blood levels will require determined supplementation.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Freepressright's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need to apologies bro', first, I did not feel like you are trying to disaprove me and, second- you and everyone else is welcomed to question or post any objection to any of my post- as I try to point earlier I'm just a random guy like everyone else and I do sometimes get things wrong.

As for your gf dosage- I did hear of cases where they prescribed extreme doses of vit d- but they are infrequent like 3 injections a year of 60 000 IU, or couple of weeks with similar dosages- but I never met anyone of them, neither I understand reasoning behind rhat kind of therapies. Friend of mine has some kind of disorder with vit d- once he had collapsed at workplace and he is taking 4000 IU daily, now that is also different case from most of people here- and for them 4000 IU is not needed. Thing is lot of vitamins oppose each other so when you add one thing too much you may get deficiencies somewhere else.
    D3 technically isn't a vitamin. It's a secosteroid hormone commonly referred to as a vitamin