User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) weekend's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, ill have to look a lot of those words up.. Haha.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bill Dwyer View Post
    Another funny little thing in the West study is its reference to another study that showed Newbie gains are better in guys who drink milk, which gives the impression that if a untrained guy wants to put on LBM quick he should train hard as hell and drink a lot of milk.

Where's Breathmetal? Somebody tell that dude he had it half right.
    LOL.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weekend View Post
    nice, how much training is overreaching? though im sure your total pounds moved per session per unit distance is likely much higher than mine (havent counted) it seems i do perform a shit ton more reps...

i usually lift for 90-100 minutes 5 days a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    same, im near 1hr half......on many days, and i just do one bodypart, (last night chest was a good 1hr15, 6 exercises)
    conversely i may get out in under an hour.......no set time, just how i feel and what work has to be done
    I always found the cortisol argument interesting, but never compelling enough to change my training. It's typical for me to train 90 minutes to two hours on 2 or 3 bodyparts, not including any cardio.

Anyone ever pay attention to how the top BBers from the 70s trained? Arnold would spend 3 or 4 hours a day in the gym. He never struck me as someone who suffered from cortisol overload. Granted, he was anabolically assisted. But these days, so are we with our intra workout proteins, creatine, and other helpful compounds. And that's when we aren't on a PH or AAS cycle.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by milehighguy View Post
    That seems like a ton of time in the gym.
    Well... How much time do you spend and what do you look like?

I lift heavy usually for only about half the time i spend in the gym. The rest is some low joint stress higher rep and usually slower tempo, trying to cultivate a massive pump. I also notice my cardio is working a lot harder in the second half of a session, like I'm almost lazy for the first 15-30 min but the end of a workout for me is always super intense even though its during those first 15-30 I would set PRs

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    I always found the cortisol argument interesting, but never compelling enough to change my training. It's typical for me to train 90 minutes to two hours on 2 or 3 bodyparts, not including any cardio.

Anyone ever pay attention to how the top BBers from the 70s trained? Arnold would spend 3 or 4 hours a day in the gym. He never struck me as someone who suffered from cortisol overload. Granted, he was anabolically assisted. But these days, so are we with our intra workout proteins, creatine, and other helpful compounds. And that's when we aren't on a PH or AAS cycle.

^^^this! Every time I go long I think of pumping iron and how he repeats many times how many hours he spent in the gym.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 Jelisej's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for cortisol bit- I agree 100%, I've been fighting anti-cortisol propaganda for years on pp and now swole source forum, but things is some- guys found out that by lowering cortisol they can (temporary) increase testosterone- if you can sell supps that increase money- you'll get some serious money....
    And in reality- after training if your cortisol is too low- you will feel like shit.

For 60 min bit- I disagree, strongly. OK for experienced athletes, lifters their body adjust a bit so they can train little bit more like 10-15 mins more, more than that is not good. Its not that others said it- my own research and my own bloodwork confirms this. And if you have to train more than 90 mins- than you should take a week off sometimes to allow your hormone levels to recover.
    Last edited by Jelisej; 02-27-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: For those that buy into the one-hour rule

Quote Originally Posted by Jelisej View Post
    As for cortisol bit- I agree 100%, I've been fighting anti-cortisol propaganda for years, things is some guys found out that by lowering cortisol they can (temporary) increase testosterone- if you can sell supps that increase money- you'll get some serious money....
    And after (over)training if your cortisol is too low- you will feel like shit.

For 60 min bit- I disagree, strongly. OK for experienced athletes, lifters their body adjust a bit so they can train little bit more like 10-15 mins more, more than that is not good. Its not that others said it- my own research and my own bloodwork confirms this. And if you have to train more than 90 mins- than you should take a week off sometimes to allow your hormone levels to recover.
    How does this fit with the training of Olympic weightlifters? They train up to 8 hours a day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does this fit with the training of Olympic weightlifters? They train up to 8 hours a day.
    i disagree with jeli, and think everybody is different. like i feel like 90 minute workouts are just perfect... an hour always feels like i sell myself short. i start to feel bad after training past 120 minutes usually, but i did a 2 a day last week that totaled 3 hours in one day... felt awesome until the next day!

but oly lifters get a lot of breaks between their low rep work so 8 hours of training might only add up to the equivalent of what we do in 2 - 3 hours.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 Jelisej's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do we compare to Olympic weightlifters?
    Or professional tennis players?
    How do they feel/look when they get bit older?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good point.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for cortisol bit- I agree 100%, I've been fighting anti-cortisol propaganda for years on pp and now swole source forum, but things is some- guys found out that by lowering cortisol they can (temporary) increase testosterone- if you can sell supps that increase money- you'll get some serious money....
    And in reality- after training if your cortisol is too low- you will feel like shit.

Never got bloods on it or anything of the sort, but I can physically feel what you describe. 60 min is the sweet spot for me, 75 is about the limit of what I feel is productive.

yup