User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Facepalm. Powerlifting is infinitely more technical than BB'ing. Funny how you bring up your age because you'd think you'd be old enough to realize that there are other goals and perspectives out there. If you're into BB'ing, that's your prerogative, but to disrespect someone based simply until their goals is pretty immature. I could sit around and make fun of BB'ers for hours, but who am I to say that someone's goal is stupid.
    Weren't you the one who implied that BB'rs are vein. All I said was I'd rather look like a piece of granite over a slob who can throw more weights around. And no powerlifting is not more technical.

Powerlifters are mainly judged on 3 lifts right?
    Bodybuilders are judged literally on a whole body of work

It's ok, you can lift your heavy weights and I'll train for shape and structure. As long as we're both having fun doing it, thats what matters.
    Last edited by sandman; 02-28-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Weren't you the one who implied that BB'rs are vein. All I said was I'd rather look like a piece of granite over a slob who can throw more weights around. And no powerlifting is not more technical.

Powerlifters are mainly judged on 3 lifts right?
    Bodybuilders are judged literally on a whole body of work
    There is inherent vanity within BB'ing as it is gauged upon a certain look and yes, powerlifting is far more technical both in the programming and performing the actual lift. The actual lifting technique used by many of the top BB'ers is rather sloppy. Comparing the judging used between them is a completely separate argument as there is not a way to quantitative measure a physique; it is all a matter of perception upon the judge, which is why there is frequently controversy.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post
    How does this fit with the training of Olympic weightlifters? They train up to 8 hours a day.
    We wouldn't train for 8 hours continuously but certainly over a 12 hour span--example a 3-a-day split. However, we also do not do this all of the time, like Rodja stated it is supercompensation and needs to be done correctly< which at times its difficult and takes a lot of experience and detailed logging of your training sessions. Each individual is different, consequently in my experience women, for the most part, cycle through faster than male counterparts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weekend View Post

but oly lifters get a lot of breaks between their low rep work so 8 hours of training might only add up to the equivalent of what we do in 2 - 3 hours.
    To an extent, but it certainly isn't condensed to the that amount, although we train sports specific we utilize many other training modalities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelisej View Post
    How do we compare to Olympic weightlifters?
    How do they feel/look when they get bit older?
    lol...terrible Although are we comparing elite level training, regardless of sport, to gym goers? Professional bb'ers put their bodies through hell as well. By the way you can garner training aspects from many different areas imo..certain concepts such as volume can relate.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) DJM's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - flex wheeler is a notorious 'sloppy' trainer technique wise
    - ill say power lifting is much more technical
    -being said im into bodybuilding, but to say i dont like pushing heavy is dumb, im 33, AND I STILL love the idea i can move a bar full of plates

carry on.....................

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) DJM's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weekend View Post
    but oly lifters get a lot of breaks between their low rep work so 8 hours of training might only add up to the equivalent of what we do in 2 - 3 hours.
    jmo, benching 500-600lbs for a rep with boards seems more demanding/intense than my 5 sets of 15 on bench.....i dont think you can measure the difference using rest and so on to compare......just mentally it must be draining to get so psyched up to gut under a 600lb bar, regardless if youve been sitting and breathing the last 20min

at the end of the day, any athletic endeavor that is pursued with intention and determination will demand something of the human body, regardless what the athlete looks like or is doing

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    - flex wheeler is a notorious 'sloppy' trainer technique wise- ill say power lifting is much more technical
    -being said im into bodybuilding, but to say i dont like pushing heavy is dumb, im 33, AND I STILL love the idea i can move a bar full of plates

carry on.....................
    Branch Warren is the same way today. Different conversation but it goes on to show form is all relative and you don't necessarily need to do what most people consider proper form.

But a bodybuilding routine is much more tactical as in what exercises need to be done, what angles will hit the muscles or shape the muscles in a certain way, for example what needs to be done in order to give the V taper. If a bodypart is lagging when to lay off one bodypart and pay extra attention to another. How much cardio will make you look flat vs just enough. What intensity to do cardio. So much more to think about when it comes to training.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: For those that buy into the one-hour rule

I would venture to say that the word "technical" is being used to mean two different things based on what I am reading here. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but sandman is saying bbing is technical because there are so many aspects that need to be thought about within the sport. Rodja is saying that the individual lift is extremely technical because there are so many aspects to lifting a heavy weight in a fashion that allows the best leverage while avoiding sticking points and plateaus.

Your both right, but talking about completely different things.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 markam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry as it's off topic, but are you the guy to ask about discounts for AMS, Forerunner?

Apologies re my quote, no offence intended, just messin.