User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Established Member Feedback Score 0 Fat Bill Dwyer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    The actual lifting technique used by many of the top BB'ers is rather sloppy.
    Wait, are you saying I can get huge even with shit technique? Godamnit, I've been wasting all my time watching those "So You Think You Can Squat" videos.

Established Member Feedback Score 2 (100%) milehighguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJM View Post
    being said im into bodybuilding, but to say i dont like pushing heavy is dumb, im 33, AND I STILL love the idea i can move a bar full of plates
    Well said...

And I do give props to the guys that PL here. I'm not into it but damn impressed with the weight you guys can push around!...

Established Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Sorrow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well somewhat amazed I missed this one going on. Interesting points and counter points. I'll stay clear of any bb vs pl debate. Im obviously biased. Interesting discussion though. and lively. Of course many of the top tier bodybuilders have powerlifted. Including Arnold, but thats something lost to history. You pull up Louie, or Mark Bell, and I'd counter with Stan, or Frankl. But I'm seriously not interested in joining that portion of this thread.

For the record I train 3 days a week and typically each session is 2-3 hours, although squat is normally closer to 4 hours. That's preparing for a equipped competition. With a full powerlifting team. The average powerlifting total of our group is 2020 lbs. (prior to this sundays XPC competition when that average will go up)

When training Raw only (no gear) my sessions are still at the 2 hour mark.

In fact looking back very rarely do I have a session at or under 1 hour in duration. And I have at lease a four year history where I can say prior to any hormonal assistance of any kind I averaged an increase in my total of 100lbs a year, and an increase of roughly 10 lbs of lean body mass. So obviously I feel my methods and duration/intensity work for me. I have never stopped to worry about cortisol levels.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) DJM's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrow View Post
    I have never stopped to worry about cortisol levels.
    ^^^^ without the net and all the over thinking, not many would

hard work gets results, for me itll trump a spike in cortisol everyday

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those that buy into the one-hour rule

So anyway, back to this cortisol discussion. The long and short seems to be that short spikes in cortisol as it relates to weight lifting is probably beneficial. It's the prolonged cortisol that creates the issue right? I think that my works constant stress and screwed up hours elevate my cortisol which can be a huge stumbling block to fat loss goals, but I'm not sure about its effects on strength. I think like all the rest of the hormones it's tissue dependent. At the end of the day, I think it's a fools errand to single out one specific hormone and say "hormone X" always acts in this manner.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 markam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently read about using Phosphatidylserine at bedtime to reduce high cortisol levels and improve sleep. I tried it last night (300mgs) and had deep uninterrupted sleep. Don't know if my cortisol levels are high, though there's a fair amount of stress at the moment.

So if if you're suffering from prolonged cortisol levels as Macdon mentioned, maybe this is a way to combat them.

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Sperwer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although it's a bit dated now, Robert Sapolsky's "Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers", Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers, Third Edition: Robert M. Sapolsky: 9780805073690: Amazon.com: Books, imo is the best lay guide by a first rate bio-neurologist to the action of glucocorticoids in general, and cortisol in particular. I don't recall that he says so in so many words, but it's clear from his account that it is chronic, not episodic, cortisol imbalances that create problems, including many of the chronic diseases characteristic of our "civilization".
    Last edited by Sperwer; 03-01-2013 at 03:20 AM.
    "The purpose of today's training is to defeat yesterday's understanding."

Established Member Feedback Score 0 markam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sperwer View Post
    Although it's a bit dated now, Robert Sapolsky's "Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers", Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers, Third Edition: Robert M. Sapolsky: 9780805073690: Amazon.com: Books, imo is the best lay guide by a first rate bio-neurologist to the action of glucocorticoids in general, and cortisol in particular. I don't recall that he says so in so many words, but it's clear from his account that it is chronic, not episodic, cortisol imbalances that create problems, including many of the chronic diseases characteristic of our "civilization".
    Better be good, I've just bought it from Amazon along with The Art of War. LOL

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Sperwer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It IS good, but be forewarned, it ain't easy. LOL
    "The purpose of today's training is to defeat yesterday's understanding."

Established Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Sorrow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Art of war is free in the public domain.

Interesting notion that prolonged not episodic effects are different.