User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdon1588 View Post
    So anyway, back to this cortisol discussion. The long and short seems to be that short spikes in cortisol as it relates to weight lifting is probably beneficial. It's the prolonged cortisol that creates the issue right? I think that my works constant stress and screwed up hours elevate my cortisol which can be a huge stumbling block to fat loss goals, but I'm not sure about its effects on strength. I think like all the rest of the hormones it's tissue dependent. At the end of the day, I think it's a fools errand to single out one specific hormone and say "hormone X" always acts in this manner.
    Yes, it is the chronic v acute status that changes the game. Cortisol is also one of the primary hormones responsible for free fatty-acid mobilization and fat loss, which is why stims do elevate cortisol. Short bursts of cortisol from weight training, more or less, indicative of some form of metabolic damage and that is exactly what you want from a session.

Now, to what extent is dependent upon the person and for how long depends on the persons work capacity, but that leads into the planned overreaching phase, which is something that I will be writing about soon.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those that buy into the one-hour rule

So, next question, what can be down about chronically elevated cortisol? I believe that pretty good with 7-spray, but I'm done with kind of thing for a while. I'm trying to cut back the stims. I noticed the other day that after a HIIT training session with about some light cardio for a combined total of 30 minutes, that I feel pretty damn good, it's the same for heavy leg day. Is that like the cortisol spike?

Established Member Feedback Score 0 markam's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, but whether it generally high is the problem (as I've know learnt). If you're stressed and having trouble sleeping may probably indicate high cortisol levels.

Apologies that the girl isn't naked. Will try to do better.

SLEEP ALL NIGHT WITH PHOSPHATIDYL SERINE - Wellness for Life

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdon1588 View Post
    So, next question, what can be down about chronically elevated cortisol? I believe that pretty good with 7-spray, but I'm done with kind of thing for a while. I'm trying to cut back the stims. I noticed the other day that after a HIIT training session with about some light cardio for a combined total of 30 minutes, that I feel pretty damn good, it's the same for heavy leg day. Is that like the cortisol spike?
    That feeling is more likely from endorphins than a cortisol spike. Chronically elevated cortisol can really only be altered via lifestyle change. Some mood elevating supplements may help this, but to what extent is unknown.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Established Member Feedback Score 0 Sperwer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also a fan of phosphatidyl serin (still have a stash of endo amp), but whether that is a panacea or even part of the treatment for any particular instance of chronically elevated cortisol would depend I think on the specific etiology of that instance. One of the things I learned from Sapolsky's book is that the causes can be varied, numerous and interactive with one another and produce a cascade of effects. Just trying to treat one symptom or modulate one pathway of elevated cortisol without an understanding of the whole syndrome in the case presented probably would not be optimally effective or effectual at all. As Rodja says, chronically elevated cortisol is likely a sign that a (major) lifestyle change is in order.

Last edited by Sperwer; 03-01-2013 at 08:53 AM.
    "The purpose of today's training is to defeat yesterday's understanding."

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those that buy into the one-hour rule

Quote Originally Posted by Sperwer View Post
    I'm also a fan of phosphatidyl serin (still have a stash of endo amp), but whether that is a panacea or even part of the treatment for any particular instance of chronically elevated cortisol would depend I think on the specific etiology of that instance. One of the things I learned from Sapolsky's book is that the causes can be varied, numerous and interactive with one another and produce a cascade of effects. Just trying to treat one symptom or modulate one pathway of elevated cortisol without an understanding of the whole syndrome in the case presented probably would not be optimally effective or effectual at all. As Rodja says, chronically elevated cortisol is likely a sign that a (major) lifestyle change is in order.

I wish I could change my lifestyle. But simply put, I make too much money to quit this job and I am not qualified enough to replace my income. I'm working on it though because no amount of money is worth putting up with a job that is possibly killing you very slowly and keeping you from realizing your dreams.

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0 Jiigzz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To switch of AMPK activation (or at least limit it post exercise), Leucine is a very good and viable option. It plays a huge role in activating mTOR post exercise.