User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Freepressright's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Josh's attitude of berating forum members as fanatics won't earn him a whole lot of respect from the folks who frequent this forum. I haven't said a thing that isn't well documented and rooted in fact, as my post prior to yours illustrates. His behavior was indicative of trolling. If he isn't a troll, good for him, but don't treat the rest of us like we're a bunch of idiots for thinking that, based on his poor attitude.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 2 (100%) h2s's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freepressright View Post
    Josh's attitude of berating forum members as fanatics won't earn him a whole lot of respect from the folks who frequent this forum. I haven't said a thing that isn't well documented and rooted in fact, as my post prior to yours illustrates. His behavior was indicative of trolling. If he isn't a troll, good for him, but don't treat the rest of us like we're a bunch of idiots for thinking that, based on his poor attitude.
    I told him to lose the conspiracy accusation as well. I'd rather see you two go back and forth on science than either of you label each other.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds fair. Thank you.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Unlabeled and hidden Aspartame in your Milk. WTF?

Insert pic of two men hugging here.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple quick notes.

Yes I realize I could have elaborated more on why the evidence aganist aspartame is pretty shaky at best instead quickly dismissing your view on the matter. Allow me to offer some quick points about what we currently know about aspartame.

The current available studies on aspartame that have shown cancerogenous and other deleterious effects were either in animal models or done in vitro. What this translates to for human in vivo consumption would be about a truck full of diet soda. A lot of confusion about aspartame comes from it being classified as an excitotoxin. Individuals and groups, such as natural news, like to manipulate this but the reality is, even though it is indeed an excitotoxin, unless you are pinnung aspartame there is absolutely no chance it will reach your bloodstream. When aspartame is consumed it is broken down by the gut into phenylalanine and aspartic acid which are then metabolized. Now there is some individual reaction to phenylalanine, but them aside aspartame is largely benign to the majority of us. Now back to the excitotoxicity point. There is no question whatsoever about excitotoxicity. We know this occurs. The issue really revolves around the question, is aspartame an excitotoxic in vivo, and the bulk of the available crediabld research, that is highly unlikely if not virtually impossible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's all fine and wonderful, but it still remains:

1. Aspartame is the no. 1 food additive for adverse effects reported to the FDA. This is a matter of public record.

2. Aspartame was the most controversial food additive ever to get FDA approval, having been rejected numerous times.

3. FDA advisory boards felt it was not safe and continually ruled against its approval until Ronald Reagan's FDA commissioner, who was a close ally of Donald Rumsfeld (then the CEO of GD Searle), overruled the panel and unilaterally approved aspartame.

4. The studies on aspartame were riddled with errors, inconsistencies and what was widely believed to be outright lies -- to the point that a grand jury was investigating.

5. The United States attorney prosecuting the case conveniently let the statute of limitations expire, and then left to take a job with Searle.

6. Dr. Arthur Hall Hayes, the FDA commissioner, went on to work for Searle and refused to answer any questions regarding aspartame.

I hear you about the studies, but the one thing you need to remember is that they're industry sponsored. If you put me in charge of investigating me, I'm going to find no evidence of wrongdoing every time.

The non-industry sponsored studies have found aspartame not to be a safe substance -- and not just from the question of excitotoxicity.

You can't look at all of the above and just write it off as coincidence or conspiracy. Watch the two mainstream-media produced documentaries from two decades ago. They have the documents and interviews.

I will never believe this stuff is safe when consumed regularly. I, therefore, avoid it. I do not want it being secretly added to any of my food. I want my food to be real food and not a bunch of chemicals that a self-policing company proclaims to be safe.

That's not unreasonable, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was nothing of substance in your post for me to respond to. It wad entirely conspiracy theory. I can not speak as to why so and so left his job, I will not try and read inbetween lines and make up a reason as to why so and so left one job for another, etc. You have failed to postulate any mechanism as to why aspartame is dangerous. There is sufficient evidence to suggest it is not so the burden of proof falls on you, the one making the claim (aspartame is harmful) and all I see or conspiracy theories, which btw you are free to think and believe and whatever you want. My problem arises when you start to spead nonsense, especially when you try and make it seem the nonsense is backed by science, to this I emphatically object. Show me the clinical evidence aspartame poses a threat. If you can not then all you are left with is far fetched conspiracy theories and your irrational fear.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) weekend's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ I'm interested freepress, hook up the medi-proof

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, the FDA database with information about adverse reactions is conspiracy theory?

The Food and Drug Administration has admitted that three-fourths of all its non-drug complaints are for the unwanted ill effects from aspartame use.

In 1998, Ralph G. Walton, MD, a Professor of Clinical Psychiatry at Northeastern Ohio University's College of Medicine, analyzed 164 studies relevant to human safety questions associated with aspartame. Of those studies, 74 studies had aspartame industry-related sponsorship and 90 were funded without any industry money.

Of the 90 non-industry-sponsored studies, 83 (92 percent) identified one or more problems with aspartame. Of the seven studies that did not find a problem, the FDA conducted six of those studies.

Of the 74 aspartame industry-sponsored studies, all 74 (100%) claimed that no problems were found with aspartame.

But getting back to the U.S. attorney and the FDA commissioner taking jobs with Searle after aspartame's controversial approval - any logical person would be at least mildly suspicious. Again, I choose not to consume products that contain aspartame because I believe (and based on research) that its cumulative effects are a health hazard. I am able to avoid it because it is labeled.

As a consumer, I want freedom of choice. I do not want a potentially toxic chemical added to common foods and hidden. Again, what's conspiratorial or nutty about wanting disclosure and real food?

Again, I would ask you to go beyond industry-sponsored studies and watch both of these mainstream-media produced documentaries from two decades ago and tell me how, based on the cronyism and controversial approval process, any logical person wouldn't legitimately question aspartame's safety.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im done as you fail to understand what is relevant and what isnt. you made a claim, now back your claim. All you have is a bunch of what if's and this looks shady. There is nothing of substance.

One more time. Aspartame breaks down in the gut into two constituents. Do you disagree with this? Yes, then why? What else would happen? What else is it broken down into? Does something happen before it reaches the gut?

Or do you agree? If so then we are left with aspartic acid and phenylalanine. Do you understand how these are metabolized? If so, explain. If you agree that these are the endproducts when we consume aspartame then which is the culprit to deleterious effects? Is their evidence of this or at the very least a mechanistic hypothesis?

What exactly makes aspartame dangerous? Where along the line from consumption to when its metabolized starts the chain that leads to health problems? I even gave you a freebie (excitotoxicity) and you dismissed it saying there are other concerns. Well what are they?

I dont care about why someone left a job or why paoerwork wasnt filed. Its irrelevant. I dont even care about the studies that have questionable sponsoring. If the studybwas shit then you should be able to explain why its shit via the materials and methods instead of copping out by just saying so and so was involved. And lastly, I dont care what joe schmoes complaints were they he logged with the fda. Caffeine sometime gices me headaches, shall I deduce coffee is dangerous?

If you claim aspartame is dangerous at the very least provide just a speck of actual evidence instead of this conspiracy bullshit. And yes it is a conspiracy as conspiracies are defined by having a lack of actual evidence. If you had the evidence it wouldnt be a conspiracy but since you fail to provide any then this is no different than you shooting we faked the moon landing.

I am done unless you respond with evidence.