User Tag List

Page 21 of 62 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 5 (100%) O_RYAN_007's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your goal Maximal strength? Also, In the picture oh you squatting, it looks like you knees are going over your toes. You need to focus on spreading the hips and flaring the knees out. This will def help your knee issue, and it may actually be the cause of you knee issues.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0 VayneZ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by O_RYAN_007 View Post
    Is your goal Maximal strength? Also, In the picture oh you squatting, it looks like you knees are going over your toes. You need to focus on spreading the hips and flaring the knees out. This will def help your knee issue, and it may actually be the cause of you knee issues.
    THIS ^^ makes a LOT of sense! So I should try to, in a way of saying widen out the range between the knees more, but at the same time not ''sumo''-ish, just the knees more outward? (Just wanna know if I understood correctly).

And well, not 100% strength. But for now Strength is the main goal! Main focus!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VayneZ View Post
    THIS ^^ makes a LOT of sense! So I should try to, in a way of saying widen out the range between the knees more, but at the same time not ''sumo''-ish, just the knees more outward? (Just wanna know if I understood correctly).

And well, not 100% strength. But for now Strength is the main goal! Main focus!
    Your knees need to be pointing outward. For you to achieve this, you need to spread your feet on the outside of you shoes, spread your knees, and flair your hips outward. Get you hips mobile, and do some TKE exercises to strengthen your knee stabilizer muscles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ryan! I'll look into some TKE's as soon as I get home. I really appreciate this bro!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ryan! I'll look into some TKE's as soon as I get home. I really appreciate this bro!
    Anytime buddy!

Established Member Feedback Score 0 WesleyInman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just trying to be like Sensei Wes! Still got a decade ahead of me to even come close to your level! But I'm def getting pretty influenced by powerlifting. Been watching way to many Powerlifting clips, and also focusing a lot on STRENGTH, even when it comes to light weight, I would focus on the control of the long and deep contraction.

Any Advise you would have to continue squatting once a week, and master the heavy weight Wes? I was planning on going a bit lighter and focus on reps for now, but, what would you suggest?
    LOL! Thanx VayneZ. When I am trying to increase my strength I hit most bodyparts 2x per week for reps of 5-6, including squats. For squats, a good number is a 5x5. Find a weight you can BARELY do 5 times. Do 5 reps. If you are only getting 2-3, its too heavy. If you can get 6 ever, you are not training hard enough. Add weight EVERY SESSION. There is no excuse for not getting 5 reps of any weight. If you have to stand still on rep 4 for a few seconds, take a deep breathe, lower and hit it.

I do not overtrain. I warmup and hit a few super heavy sets, and I force myself to leave the gym. Many times I am not sore, nor do I have a pump.

I will tell you how I have approached strength for 20+ years. Every time I visit the gym, I try a heavier weight. I may warmup to the weight..but I always add 5lbs..so if I squatted 225 for 2 reps last week..this week I am going for 230 for 2 reps. If I fail..I catch my breathe for a few minutes..focust and sit there until I hit it. The following week, 235lbs for 2 reps.

I think the key is to move up little by little. Too many guys try to "rush" strength. Doesn't work like that. You are gonna have good days and you are gonna have bad days.

Most of the client I train say, "I can't do that" when I add weight....self defeating attitude. I have always had the opposite attitude. I am adding weight I have never done before and my ass is trying again, again, again, again and again, until I get it that day. I never look at the weight as the actual weight, you never judge a number. 200 this year might be the same difficulty as 400 next year. A number is a number. Don't get caught up on numbers. Get caught up on intensity and pushing your body past it's limit.

Likewise,I am always within range because I never go out of my range, I know my range because I am consistent...I never try to make ridiculous and unrealistic jumps at once..I may try to gain "1" rep or "5" lbs per week...that is realistic sometimes. If I am sick, or my diet is off, or I am sore I will not hit it. I always take rest days when my body tells me to. NEVER rush strength. If any muscle group you are using is sore that day, you wait. You want an optimal workout every time you train...that is the goal. I may only train 3x per week, but I am in there fucking it up. I am fully rested, strong, focused and on point. If I am ever at the gym, and into the workout, I am sore, my body is not responding or I am distracted..I pack my bag and leave..every time. Don't waste energy.

Alot of it is mental IMO. If you are at a certain weight, you can always add an additional 5lbs if you focus properly, channel your energy and make it happen.

I lift everyday with no partner and no spotter on purpose, only if I am going for a PR will I have a spot, which might be 1-2 lifts total for the entire week..if that, I will put safety bars in place when i go super heavy. I pretend the safety bars are not there...and if I don't get the lift, my ass is done and over with. You'd be surprised how far a little fear and aggression and mental focus can take you

Just keep pushing it, and you will get where you want to be

Ever think of training your entire body for reps of 6 and under and heavy?? Biceps, triceps, shoulders, legs, calves, etc..everything??
    Last edited by WesleyInman; 08-28-2013 at 10:26 PM.
    National Sponsored Lightweight Strongman Competitor
    Prescription Nutrition Athlete and TEAM REP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You Wes, have inspired me beyond what you may imagine!

I'm def gonna try that, going a bit heavier each week. I'll variate a bit, weekly, focusing on more reps on certain weeks, and more supersets on others, and I'll have pure heavy week. I'll make sure whatever week I'm in, I finish the last set of each exercise HEAVY.

The only thing that concerns me right now is my knee cap cartlidge... Ryan I tried the TKE with the band, which you stretch your hams. Felt really good. How many times a week should I do this?

If only my knees would get better I would feel way more confident squatting. Right now I can NOT and dare not do lunges nor leg press, cause I feel it in the knees. So I gotta figure out a way for this to heal, while staying active. Would a chiropractor be a good idea? please advise!

And tomorrow I'm deadlifting. Last week I nailed 475. I was debating wether to go for 485 or 495 (5 plates on each side). But I'll take your advise Wes! And go for 485! If I nail it... then next time I'll go for the 5 plates!

Again, I'm stating my opinion and plans here for the reason to be corrected by you guys if needed! Whatever correction or advise is always appreciated by my SS crew!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This vid shows exactly how to do one variation on a TKE exercise.

STRONG Gym - Banded TKEs. - YouTube

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Scope75's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hip hinge....
    Looks like you start your squat with your knees instead of hinging at your hips. Dropping your ass first will help/keep your knees from going over your toes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice video! That's exactly what I did today... except I kinda contracted it longer... about 10 seconds. How many days a week should I do this and for how many reps would you advise Ryan sir???

Scope, Nice to get advise from the deadlift and squat whore!!!! I'll keep that dropping the ass first in mind. my squats are deeper and way better in form when I go 405 or lower weight though... 460 pounds was WAY too much for my joints.... and perhaps even my overall strength.

Btw what's a good site to upload mp4's? Just got the video of the squats!! Wanna post it here so you guys could advise me better.

Oh and Wes, I KILLED arms today bro, thanks to your inspiring words!