User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New routine

Established Member Feedback Score 3 (100%) Sorrow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watch the so you think you can bench series at elitefts. Learn the technique to setup and control your elbows/tuck.
    Here's what I'd have you do if you were here and wanted to work in with me and the guys on our bench day.

Week 1
    bench press (pause for 1 second at the bottom on each rep)
    -5 sets of 5
    incline hammer press
    -4 sets of 5-8
    Floor press
    -4 sets 5 reps
    skull crushers
    -5 sets of 5 - 8

No dips. Stick to 5 reps with the heaviest weight on each that you can do the movement correctly. The pause bench press is to work the bottom of the lift/the chest. Don't go to heavy, and work on proper form the entire time.

week 2
    lockouts, can use a power rack or set something like a board or even a phone book on your chest. Have a training partner there to spot you. Do not over exaggerate! You do not want to damage your rotator cuffs!
    -5 sets of 3

week 3
    Bench press. Strict form! subtract 60lbs from your current pr. each set add 10 lbs to the bar. you should finnish with a set of 3 thats 10lbs less then your best. Put in work! Everything right and do your best to get all three. It's ok if you don't
    -5 sets of 3

week 4
    Bench press. This week is designed to give you a chance to recover for a max effort attempt the following week. Use the same weights you did the week before. Here's your chance for revenge if you didn't get the triple the week before to get a clean double!
    - 5 sets of 2

No accessory work. The goal is to completely recover for a max attempt next week. Also I would lay off shoulder work this week as well.

week 5
    gut check. Max effort, new pr.
    do not waste energy doing to many warm up sets. do the bar for 5, then make good sensable jumps with sets of three, then a double that is around 100lbs less then your previous best. then singles with 60 lbs less, 20 lbs less then load up an extra 10lbs over your previous best and crush it!

These are just suggestions of how I train. There is several others. Rodja has vids showing great bench form and will be competing soon. Really my top suggestion is do the basic movements and do them right. Hopefully something in this helps or gives you suggestions. If you get the chance look up and see if theres a powerlifting meet sometime in your area or a powerlifting gym that you could train at. What you have posted I am sure you could grow and make gains.

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0 Dcabedo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right on! So ideally id run this routine for 5 weeks working up to a new pr then I would restart working up to beat the new pr. Did I understand that correctly?
    "Powerlifting is a manifestation of my hatred for humanity."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could. This is like a micro version of what I do for 2 months or so before a meet. Try this out for five weeks and see how you do. Remember its all about how intense and consistent you are. You could have the ultimate plan that is absolutely perfect for you and if you don't put in the effort it wont work. Same with a bodybuilders diet. Could look so perfect on paper, but 2 weeks in they get tired of it and boom beer and hot wings and self misery! lol

I have no doubt you want to get stronger and succeed. And I have no doubt you can! This is just my method that works for me. I looked up to Ed Coan and took his basic training, used that for meet prep ontop of my bb'ing routine that I did at the time and I started to get results. From there I started training at powerlifting gyms and learning. And I'm still learning to this day! I'm not the greatest. I'm still building myself. So don't think you have to do anything I type or say. Part of this sport is figuring out what works for you. Thats why I also refer you to the other guys on here they have as much experience as I do with lifting. And most if not all of them know alot more about the various products that flood our market! Also look at the progress of a guy like Rodja, read through his log and check out his meet prep. There's another excellent example of a powerlifter.

MAn I am being really wordy tonight. lol. Sorry I may have gone overkill with the explanations.

SwoleSource Member Feedback Score 0 Dcabedo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahah Naw man don't worry about it. I greatly appreciate all the knowledge you're sharing with me. This is something I hope to be doing for a very long time. So for me to actually be able learn from people like yourself as i'm still just a baby in this sport, it really is awesome you know!?
    "Powerlifting is a manifestation of my hatred for humanity."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you'll find bodybuilders, and powerlifters tend to go out of their way to help each other out. The catch is to figure out who's worth listening too!