Quote Originally Posted by Cdsnuts View Post
It always amazed me how directly linked smell is to the brain. But when you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Smell is linked very strongly to memory for a reason. This is how animals know and remember where and when to get certain foods. It's literally connected directly into their brain for memory processing. Same thing for people. I can't tell you how many smells remind me of childhood, or certain important periods in my life. When I catch any of those smells, it brings back the memories attached to it instantly.
Thanks for your input CD. Exactly that, certain smells take you back and I believe those memories are important for the sense of self. When I first crashed I recall that correlation between smell and memory/ surroundings becoming dull, making my surroundings as well as my own thoughts seem kind of foreign but it was certainly an aspect I was overlooking because of other sides. However the more I progress, the stronger the connection between smell and memories and sensations is becoming, which is helping tremendously with the derealization/depersonalization I developed post crash. Certainly a relieving part of the recovery process, beginning to feel familiar again.