Thread: 5a-DHP

Threaded View

Established Member Feedback Score 0 TubZy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivenToRecover View Post
    I don't feel noticeably more relaxed after I take it, but after reading that article I think I might mega dose it tonight & report back.
    I'm gonna get into the routine of a tbsp morning and a tbsp at night.

Reading that is another example of something that I've found really interesting, and that is that the body is good at using ingredients from parts of other animals to help those same parts of you...that is: gelatin is good for your connective tissue, eating heart is good for your heart, eating liver is good for your liver, ect.

I wish I had learned this type of shit in school years ago before I had any sort of health problems lol Instead we learned to eat our "Heart Healthy" whole grains smh..

One thing I keep seeing on the ray peat stuff tubz is that serotonin is bad? I thought you wanted serotonin levels about as high as naturally possible?
    Try 2 tablespoons tonight. I don't really notice the relaxing effect from 1 tablespoon that much that is why I can handle it during the day.

Yep, screw grains man I feel so much better cutting them out. They are inflammatory, have gluten, suppress thyroid/metabolism, inhibit zinc absorption, horrible for the gut/hard to digest etc. Fruit, white rice and potatoes are my carb sources.

Yes, Peat is against serotonin, he doesn't say to completely eliminate it but keep it as low as possible in the normal range. The reason is that estrogen, prolactin, cortisol, histamine and serotonin are all interconnected and are all stress related to the organism. Serotonin slows metabolism and is considered elevated in only times of stress, along with increasing prolactin, estrogen and cortisol. Anything that causes "stress" towards the organism is going to put resources away from the right functions of the body. Like how cortisol causes weight gain, depressed sexual function, crappy skin etc. I always thought serotonin was the "good" guy too.

Take for example, SSRI's. So many people are screwed up from SSRI's b/c they raise serotonin. All the sides of SSRI's are very similar to PFS...weight gain, slowed metabolism, prolactin rise, ED, low libido etc.

There is new evidence now that the "anti-depressant" effect of SSRI's is actually from the rise in allopregnenolone now- not from the serotonin increase.

All in all, the main neurotransmitters you want elevated is GABA and dopamine. You probably know but both of those have anti- stress, pro-metabolic, pro testosterone, pro thyroid functions, neuroprotective functions. If you want to read more in depth about serotonin, check it out Serotonin, depression, and aggression - The problem of brain energy.

In Parkinson’s disease, the benefits seen from increasing the concentration of dopamine could result from dopamine’s antagonism to serotonin; anti-serotonin drugs can alleviate the symptoms, and 5-hydroxytryptophan can worsen the symptoms (Chase, et al., 1976). Other movement disorders, including akathisia and chorea, can be produced by serotonin. In autism, repetitive motions are a common symptom, and serotonin is high in the blood serum and platelets of autistic children and their relatives. Irritable bowel syndrome, another kind of “movement disorder,” can be treated effectively with anti-serotonin agents. This syndrome is very common in women, with premenstrual exacerbations, when estrogen is highest. One of the side effects of oral contraceptives is chorea, uncontrollable dancing movements. Some research has found increased serotonin in people with Huntington’s chorea (Kish, et al., 1987), and positive results with bromocriptine have been reported (Agnoli, et al., 1977).

The neurosteroid, allopregnanolone, for which progesterone is the precursor, facilitates the inhibitory action of GABA, which is known to be deficient in some disorders of mood and movement. This suggests that progesterone will be therapeutic in the movement disorders, as it is in various mood problems. Progesterone has some specific antiserotonin actions (e.g., Wu, et al., 2000).

The “serotonin reuptake inhibitors” “are presumed” to have the same effect on the brain that they have on blood platelets. They inhibit the ability of platelets to retain and concentrate serotonin, allowing it to stay in the plasma. This uptake-inhibited condition is a model of the platelet behavior seen in multiple sclerosis and Alzheimer’s disease.

Serotonin and its derivative, melatonin, are both involved in the biology of torpor and hibernation. Serotonin inhibits mitochondrial respiration. Excitoxic death of nerve cells involves both the limitation of energy production, and increased cellular activation. Serotonin has both of these actions.

Increased serotonin interferes with the consolidation of learning. Hypothermia has a similar effect. Since estrogen increases serotonergia, and decreases body temperature, these effects help to explain the long-observed interference of estrogen with learning.
    Last edited by TubZy; 12-20-2016 at 08:15 PM.