LOL

Established Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyranny in America? Somewhat funny vid

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Zero personal issues, but your arguments are fallacious. A fallacious argument needs to be pointed out.
    So is the weakness of the argument that laws prevent crimes going to be addressed on its merits? All law is applicable to the degree to which it can be enforced (paraphrasing a Supreme Court justice). It is irrelevant what guns are allowed because law abiding citizens won't, by definition, use a gun to commit a crime. Banning the sales of guns does little to stop the violence, in part because of the prevalence of weapons already in circulation. So, if criminals are criminal because they don't follow laws, what will one more law serve? Nothing.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdon1588 View Post
    So is the weakness of the argument that laws prevent crimes going to be addressed on its merits? All law is applicable to the degree to which it can be enforced (paraphrasing a Supreme Court justice). It is irrelevant what guns are allowed because law abiding citizens won't, by definition, use a gun to commit a crime. Banning the sales of guns does little to stop the violence, in part because of the prevalence of weapons already in circulation. So, if criminals are criminal because they don't follow laws, what will one more law serve? Nothing.
    Don't James Holmes and Adam Lanza disprove the notion that law abiding citizens are not dangerous with guns??

Established Member Feedback Score 2 (100%) Coolazice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today happens to be the 1 year anniversary of the death of a classmate and friend of mine from high school. She was shot and killed in her driveway by her longtime boyfriend, just 4 doors (a couple hundred feet) from my grandma's house. Still, I don't blame the gun. If he didn't have a gun, he would have found a different way to accomplish his goals. He was a twisted individual and was set on ending her life no matter what. He died by his own hand like many of the other cowards that choose that path. I think one of the worst parts about it is that her daughter lost both parents that night.
    Last edited by Coolazice; 01-24-2013 at 02:23 AM.

Established Member Feedback Score 1 (100%) Rodja's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macdon1588 View Post
    Red herring there, buddy.

The whole gun debate is full of fallacious arguments as it's an overly complex issue that cannot be easily legislated or solved due to the multiple avenues of obtaining a gun.

Bottom line is that something needs to change as the current approach is obviously not working. Whether it be some form of restriction on firearms, more rigorous methods for legally obtaining one, extra firearm safety/awareness, etc., something needs to be done and the people sitting on their asses screaming, "2nd amendment!!" are holding shit back. There's a lot of parallels here between gun reform and healthcare reform in that people are bitching about potential changes being implemented yet the current system isn't working.
    M. Ed. Ex Phys

Super Moderator Feedback Score 0 burlyman30's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Tyranny in America? Somewhat funny vid

Commercial break, guys...

I started all this by asking h2s' views. I stated some of my own. I don't agree with certain views and you won't all agree with mine. But PLEASE let's keep this civil. There is no need to call anyone ignorant or assholes here. Leave the personal attacks out of it.

If you disagree just state the reason, i.e. "the numbers I've seen disagree with this sentiment " vs. saying "You're an idiot".

Disagreement and dissenting is fine. But we have some great people here... let's not tear each other up over this.

So... this whole thing started with my question... my fault, I guess. I know this is a heated topic with strong beliefs on both sides.

Carry on.
    All advice given is for entertainment value only. And it's free. Take it for what it's worth.

Established Member Feedback Score 2 (100%) Coolazice's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post

I started all this by asking h2s' views. I stated some of my own. I don't agree with certain views and you won't all agree with mine. But PLEASE let's keep this civil. There is no need to call anyone ignorant or assholes here. Leave the personal attacks out of it.

If you disagree just state the reason, i.e. "the numbers I've seen disagree with this sentiment " vs. saying "You're an idiot".

Disagreement and dissenting is fine. But we have some great people here... let's not tear each other up over this.

So... this whole thing started with my question... my fault, I guess. I know this is a heated topic with strong beliefs on both sides.

Carry on.
    This can't be blamed on you, Burly. This same debate is on the tip of a lot of peoples tongues and is happening at thousands of water coolers worldwide right now. Point taken though.

A 1k Club Member Feedback Score 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burlyman30 View Post

Carry on.
    you have no fault here burly, sorry for my indulgence in shitty behavior.

Super Moderator Feedback Score 3 (100%) BBG's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longBallLima View Post
    not kill. the article even delineates this. the main difference here is 22 injured children X 22 dead children.

as much as no one wants to see a hurt child, the sandy hook parents would gladly trade the attacks.
    The article actually mentions that the guy used a knife, not a gun. I didn't mean to be misleading with what I originally typed...

I'm not for gun control, but that guy attacked a bunch of kids with a knife and didn't kill any. They would easily all be dead if a gun was used.
    Super not-not-moderator BBG

Need extra cash? List of "Get Paid To" sites: Make $5 a day